Sunday, November 30, 2008

Z is for Zion




"One of the greatest challenges we will face is to be able to live in that world but somehow not be of that world. We have to create Zion in the midst of Babylon.

“Zion in the midst of Babylon.” What a luminous and incandescent phrase, as a light shining in the midst of spiritual darkness. What a concept to hold close to our hearts, as we see Babylon becoming more widespread. We see Babylon in our cities; we see Babylon in our communities; we see Babylon everywhere.

And with the encroachment of Babylon, we have to create Zion in the midst of it. We should not allow ourselves to be engulfed by the culture which surrounds us. We seldom realize the extent to which we are a product of the culture of our place and time."

-David R Stone
I did a post earlier about Temples and Adam did one about Las Vegas. The other day I was driving home from UNLV which takes me right down Tropicana past the strip. As I was doing this I was listening to some hymns on my Ipod. At that moment I felt so removed from Babylon and started thinking of my wonderful Institute classes which are very much in UNLV but not of UNLV. I thought about my amazing ward which has welcomed us with open arms and let us into their homes. I thought of the beautiful temple which we are blessed with and I thought of some pictures (Above) which seem to epitomize Zion in Babylon.
Zion is a state of mind. It is a place of spiritual enlightenment. A place designated for God's work to be fulfilled a sanctuary for the pure in heart. I'm grateful to be surrounded by the love of God and to be amid the wonderful people of the world who surround me in my Zion.

4 comments:

Bea said...

Come to Zion come to Zion,
And within her walls rejoice
---------------
Come to Zion come to Zion
For your coming Lord is nigh
---------------
Come to Zion come to Zion
Zion's walls shall ring with praise
--------------
Come to Zion come to Zion
Ere His floods of anger flow.

adapted from Hymns #7

Bea said...

Come to Zion Come to Zion
And with in her walls rejoice!

LDS Hymnal #7

Margie said...

AMEN!!

Margie said...

AMEN!!