Sunday, November 23, 2008

S is for Santa!

As Christmas draws near I feel I should tell a devastating story:

A few days after my 11th birthday I was in Sandy Utah with my cousin Becky. We were hanging out in her room when out of the blue she said "you were right you know, last year when you were wondering if Santa Clause was real, I asked my parents and they said he wasn't real." I was so confused. Of course I had heard this before but never from someone I trusted so implicitly. I knew that if her parents told her Santa wasn't real than in fact he was not. I was devastated. I remember thinking rapidly through every Christmas I'd ever had. What had I missed? I tried to stay calm and act like I'd already found out. It wasn't until about twenty minutes of torturous thinking and pretense that I got into the car and started driving home with my mom. I knew I could trust her. I asked in a quivering voice if it was true. Hearing my mom confirm was like a stake through the heart. I knew it had to be true if my mom had been posing as Santa Clause. I felt absolutely betrayed (bare in mind I'm 11 years old...) This was the death of my childhood. Not only did I believe that Santa was real, I knew I'd seen him at Lesley's Christmas Party. It WAS the real Santa! It had to have been...but then why were all the separate families wrapping paper different? It seemed that each of the individual family units were clumped, organized by like wrapping paper. Not only that but this was the same wrapping paper beneath the tree at home? My childhood flashed before my eyes and it was gone. I bawled the whole way home. Luckily my parents only have one overly passionate child and I was the only one who reacted in such a way.

Some of my favorite Santa Reveled Stories are as follows:

Sean went to our parents and said "Mom some kids at school say my parents are Santa but I don't believe them because how would you travel the whole world in one night."

Megan asked "Mom is Santa real?" My mom asked if she wanted the truth (which is pretty much a confession in and of itself) and Megan confirmed. My mom said "Santa is real in my heart?" Megan burst out laughing hysterically.

My Dad was sitting around the breakfast table with my Grandma and Uncle Archie. Archie said "mom do you believe so in so still believes in Santa Clause?" My grandma replied "Your kidding!" ...and my dad thought to himself "Huh...I guess Santa Clause isn't real..."

I love hearing stories of the Santa reveal, or as my Dad calls it "The end of THE LIE." Please share with me your stories.

My mom still maintains that Santa is real, that he lives in the hearts of every child and that magic makes him as authentic as anyone.

So if Satan is the Father of Lies than Santa is the Father of Christmas Lies.

3 comments:

Margie said...

I went to painstaking efforts to buy seperate Christmas wrap for Lesley's party and then hide it so you guys would never see it. And yes, I still believe that Santa lives in the hearts of children!! Remember I saw him flying across the sky when I was a little girl. Some people may say it was a plane, but in my minds eye...it was Santa himself.

BobN said...

A friend's little girl asked about Santa in a very matter-of-fact way, so she told her no. She was glad she had, because the next question was "what about Heavenly Father?".

If we have lost that spirit from our hearts, even as adults, it's a very sad thing.

Bea said...

You mean SANTA is not REAL!!!!!!!!!
wahhhhhhhh
I'm scared, who is in my house on Christmas and says HO! HO! HO! in my vents?
Now I am scared
wahhhhhhhh