Tuesday, November 11, 2008

M is for MOSCOW


I refuse to have M be for stupid Metal Gear Solid. M is my favorite letter and if Adam wants to ruin an Alpha blog he can create one of his own. This is reserved for NON video games (except for maybe W...)

M is for Moscow because I loved my experience there. It truly was like stepping out of this world and into another. I remember when I went to Red Square for the first time, we were the only ones around (because what local is going to come out in -24 degrees f to see red square? The snow was falling as fast and as heavy as rain and I remember the distinct feeling that I was trapped in a snow globe (because I couldn't see the sky) then the earthquake started and it snowed more...just kidding.
Moscow is such a versatile city. You have the richest of the rich (Putin, Mafia) and the poorest of the poor. Of course you have this in every city but it is rare that they all ride the same metro line! Their are many lines that are blurred when the weather is so freezing.

To get ready for church we'd wake up really early and shower so that we could ensure that our hair would be dry enough to venture outside. Then we'd dress in our underclothes which consisted of long thermal underwear on top of Nylons and a long sleeve white undershirt and some socks. Then we'd put another layer of bottoms on and a plain Tee shirt. Next came our Jeans and our button up blouse for Church. We'd throw on a skirt over our jeans then a sweater topped with another layer of socks and our coat. After that we'd put ear muffs on, and a Bennie, flimsy gloves and then mittens. We'd pack in our bags water bottles, extra food, our scriptures, nice shoes, and bunches of hand warmers. We'd strap on our packs with our visas, passports, other id, and our address and phone number in Russian in case we got lost. Then we'd step outside (immediately we'd be frozen stiff) walk to the bus stop, take it to the metro, switch trains twice, take two buses and then walk some more and boom in the blink of an eye we were there. For dinner we'd have dream dinners in which we spoke of our favorite meals over a bowl of oatmeal lol.

In the spring Moscow is beautiful. I've never seen so many tulips in all my life. There are street vendors complete with Monkeys and Bears on leashes and you can really enjoy everything all over again cause it is literally transformed. Personally I prefer the imperial look of snow cover and blackness- because in the winter everything is very black and unforgiving looking...very Russian.
So I guess M can be for two things...but does Metal Gear Solid have St. Basils Cathedral, Gum Mall, the Kremlin, Gorky Park, Lenin? I think not!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Adam says, "Moscow is a good pick too because the first villains in Metal Gear Solid are Russian. In fact, MGS3 also has multiple Russians and one of them you end up having to fight. Those Russians are everywhere in video games...sadly they are always up to no good."

Margie said...

I loved hearing the details of getting ready for church. I take so much for granted. I'm so glad you were able to go to Moscow. I talked to Catlin last Sunday and she said she saw "Get Smart" and was so excited to see Moscow in the movie.

Bea said...

Thanx for the travelogue, and "oatmeal" :o( I hope I never get that hungry, but a cute idea to think you are eating roast beef and yorkshire pudding:o) The picture of Moscow is magnificient.