Sunday, November 2, 2008

Yes on Proposition 8


Tonight I took a list from the Vote Yes on Proposition 8 campaign and made phone calls to people in Hesperia California. For those of you who don't know- Proposition 8 states: "only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California."


The reason why I did this is because it is a cause I strongly believe in. It happened in Massachusetts and now it is happening in California. The point is we are Americans living in America and where it happens in one state it will trickle to another and another.


Both Obama and McCain support this proposition. People wonder why others would want to impose on others rights. First of all, I believe that every child should be born to a loving mother and father. Second, I don't want my kids to grow up and be taught in the school system that homosexual marriage is natural and right. Most of all I stand by the Prophets and by

The Family: A Proclamation to the World


The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners.
**I must amend my previous post*** My Sweet Auntie pointed out to me that Senator Obama is not in fact in favor of Prop 8. What I read was the following quote...which cut off where it ceases to be bold: "I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. I am not in favor of gay marriage. But when you start playing around with constitutions, just to prohibit somebody who cares about another person, it just seems to me that's not what America's about. Usually, our constitutions expand liberties, they don't contract them." In short- Its a political sell out. He's not in favor of the proposition even being in place because of the changing of the California constitution to read that marriage is between a man and a woman. McCain also took the sell out stance saying: "As I did in my home state of Arizona, I support the effort in California to define marriage as the union of a man and a woman. However, the people of California will ultimately decide this issue, and I’ll of course respect the decision of the voters." So in other words from both candidates: "Hey I'm just trying to win an election here...don't ask the hard questions"

1 comment:

Margie said...

Amen!! We were talking about it at exercise today. I feel so strongly about this too. I'm glad you got involved and made those phone calls!! Keep up the good work.