Monday, November 17, 2008

O is for Oz because because because because because...


...Someday I'll wish upon a star and wake up where the clouds are far behind me...where troubles melt like lemmon drops way above the chimney tops...
Thats where you'll find me~

I loved the Wizard of Oz when I was a little girl. My parents would play "Wizard of Oz" with me- I'd be Dorothy Gale, my dad would be the Scarecrow and my mom would be the Tin Man. I loved the ruby slippers and always wanted a pair of my very own. I thought there would never be a pair of shoes so beautiful in all the world.
Affinity for the Wizard of Oz aside, it is really the idea of Oz that really intrigues me at this point in life. I suppose you could relate everything to the Wizard of Oz (i.e. follow the Yellow Brick Road/follow the straight and narrow) but for this moment I just want to escape to a place where troubles melt like lemmon drops and research papers were obsolete and money grew on trees and brains were handed out to the people in need of them (let alone hearts a courage).
As we learn from the stories The Wizard of Oz and Wicked things aren't always what they seem in fantasy land. Up is often down and colorful magic land actually pales in comparison to your sepia home.

America's Tin Man song really threw me for a loop when I was younger. I remember listening to the lyrics as a really little girl because it had the Tin Man in it...although I don't remember any of the song except for that long "Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man that he didn't, didn't already have." First of all...never did give nothing?!?! ok Ill let the poor grammar go right now- but I remember asking my dad what the lyrics meant. I couldn't wrap my mind around them. My dad explained that it meant the Tin Man already had a heart and he showed it by his compassion, his love, his anger, his sensitivity and so he really didn't need to go all the way to the phoney wizard, he just needed to recognize- as well as Scarecrow and Lion who had brains enough to have a witty encounter with several creatures as well as crafting cleaver songs :) and the Lion who was courageous enough to go to Oz.

I think the point of the whole story was that even in Oz there is no such place as Oz. You only reach somewhere over the rainbow when you are pushing daisies and even then we continue to exsist, to progress, to work!

I know there is no place like home and home is where my Adam is. So for now I will push aside the fantasy of oz and embrace my seven page paper on Including Students with Disabilites in the General Education setting...about that...I better Ruuuuunnn

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Adam says, "You could easily relate the Wizard of Oz to your Inclusion paper because the whole movie is about the idea of inclusion. You have three protagonists that have disabilities...the lion is a coward, the scarecrow doesn't have a brain, and the tin man doesn't have a heart...those seem like some pretty big disabilities to me. However, that girl with the red shoes includes them in all her activities and takes them to someone that can help, a special education teacher if you want to call him that. On a different note, Wicked is a million times better than the Wizard of Oz so I am glad I had the opportunity to see that."

Margie said...

I like both of your takes on the WOZ. One of my favorite songs in the world is "Somewhere over the rainbow" because it does remind me of you.

BobN said...

You probably never had to sit through "Family Ties", but if you did, the theme song there had the phrase "and there ain't no nothing we can't love each other through".

It's a good thing the Scarecrow and the Tin Man didn't have an HMO.