Sunday, November 9, 2008

J is for John Williamson

Author: Adam Turney
John Williamson is an Australian folk/country singer that I first heard while at a dinner appointment in Taree. We were eating a wonderful meal and the family wanted to share a new CD they had gotten...I think my companion had heard the songs before because he new some of the words. I wasn't quite sure what to think at that moment because it was new to me and as missionaries we weren't technically supposed to be listening to non-approved music. However, I learned to like the songs and decided it would be great to purchase the John Williamson Family Album and send it home to my family. Fortunately, my family absolutely loved the album and still remember the words to some of those songs.

While Melissa and I dated we listened to some of the songs. Our personal favorites include "Home Among the Gum Trees," "Koala Koala," and "Wrinkles." A favorite of mine is "Raining on the Rock" that tells about rain that is falling on the famous Ayers Rock located in the North Australia territory. Throughout the song you can here a dijeredoo playing in the background, which adds a nice touch to the song.

As a missionary I was dying to go and see John Williamson perform but was not permitted to attend concerts. At the end of my mission, John Williamson was coming to Newcastle and some members knew how much I loved his music, so they planned to take me to the concert. Sadly I had to turn them down, but it was incredibly tempting to go and explain that it was for cultural purposes.

John Williamson is a national icon for Australia and was a dear friend of the late Steve Irwin. He actually performed at the memorial service for Steve Irwin. Williamson will often lead crowds attending Sydney Rugby Union matches in singing "Waltzing Matilda," which is considered the unofficial national anthem (it is actually Advance Australia Fair, which even Australians don't seem to like too much). If Melissa and I ever visit Australia we will likely plan our trip during a time when I can attend a John Williamson concert as that would put a big smile on my face...just listening to the music brings back many good memories.

1 comment:

Bea said...

Thanks Adam, that was/is a fun post. I listened to some of his other stuff and sang along.