Sunday, November 16, 2008

N is for Napoleon Dynamite

Author: Adam Turney
Napoleon Dynamite is a brilliantly crafted movie. The movie became and instant classic once it was released. There are not many who have not seen the movie, so I will not go into detail about the plot of the story. I remember when it came out. It was around Pioneer Day and our ward was having a celebration at a local park in Visalia. My mom couldn't make the activity because she became sick and had to be hospitalized. My brothers and I planned to go and see it that night. However, we had a dilemma since we needed to visit our mom in the hospital. We quickly rushed out to visit her after the ward activity and made sure she was still alive. She could tell that we were antsy to leave and go see the movie we had been waiting several months to see. You see, it was reported to be playing on a limited release basis and we were worried it wouldn't make it to our small town...fortunately, it did come to Visalia. Mom understood how much we had been dying to see the movie and permitted us to leave so we could make the showing on time. The movie was simply amazing and we laughed through the entire film. Eventually I purchased two shirts from the movie (the "Vote for Pedro" and the blue horse one that said "Endurance").

Eventually I left for school in Rexburg and shared the movie with everyone that hadn't seen it yet. Sadly, it had become such a big part of Mormon young adult culture that the shirts were saturated amongst the student body. I no longer felt special wearing my shirts and ceased to ever wear them again...it wasn't cool to be like everybody else at school. Living in Visalia allowed Napoleon Dynamite to be cool and special because not everyone was obsessed with it. However, to this day I still consider the movie to be classic, right alongside Dumb and Dumber, but with clever humor. If you find yourself bored from watching Napoleon Dynamite repeatedly I encourage you to watch it with the commentary because it allows you to learn a bit about the actors and where they grew up. If you tire of the commentary then proceed to listen to the spanish version, it is hilarious.

2 comments:

Bea said...

This was a very "strange" movie for me first time around, but I watched it again and caught the "humor" but I can't say my life is any bettter for the experience. :o)

Lilian said...

".....so I will not go into detail about the plot of the story."

Um, there was a plot?

When I saw it the first time I thought the entire universe was insane for loving it so much. I just didn't get it. I think the only reason it makes me laugh now is because it is quoted so much.