Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Things We Take for Granted

Today Adam and I got up about 8:10 and got ready for 9:00 church. Because we got up a little later than we should we arrived to Sacrament Meeting in the middle of the Sacrament Hymn. We took our seats and luckily were in time to partake of the Sacrament and then the meeting started. A few people bore their testimonies, then Brother Jackson and Brother Dye Jr. (I don't know his name) wheeled up Brother and Sister Dye. Sister Dye had a stroke a few years ago. She is in a wheelchair and was being cared for by her loving husband until several weeks ago when he too suffered a stroke.


The first time I met brother Dye was at enrichment night. He tenderly stayed by his wife's side who to my knowledge never missed a church activity with his assistance. He frequently bore his testimony of the Savior and the Gospel in his life. He never failed to mention how dearly he loved his sweet wife, even though she couldn't really speak and often didn't know what was going on. In June at the ward party, they won a prize for being the longest married couple of 59 years (He came to me later and amended that they had been married 69 years but had forgotten that little detail!) Since Brother Dye suffered his stroke we've all been praying for them and worried about what is going to happen to Sister Dye.


Today after a few people bore their testimony, Sister Dye and Brother Dye were wheeled to the front. Sister Dye bore her testimony first. The words were hard to hear and understand. The thing I understood was she said she loved her husband who had worked hard all his life because she kept repeating it over and over "he worked so hard all his life" until she began to sob. Brother Dye took the microphone and begged his son to take him to the pulpit but he was too weak. He bore his testimony slowly and deliberately, stopping many times to gather his emotions. After one particular long silence his son took the mic and proceeded to share his fathers testimony and how his dad woke up through the night asking if it was time to go to church. Finally at 4 in the morning he woke up for good, excited to get ready for church. He told his son that he wanted to bare his testimony. Brother Dye took back the mic and proceeded to bare a firm testimony in a small voice. I couldn't help but think of the song I mentioned last week "Their is Sunshine in my Soul Today." Verse two says: Their is music in my soul today a carol to my King, and Jesus listening can hear the song I cannot sing. I wondered if Brother Dye had at some point taken his small son to bare his testimony or to say a prayer and had whispered the words he believed in his ear as now his grown son was whispering prompts in his ear that we could all hear "Its ok Dad, go ahead and share your testimony." Silence filled the entire chapel as we waited for the words to come to Brother Dye. The only other noise in the room was the quiet sniffs of all the ward members experiencing Brother Dye's testimony: A life full of faithful service to the Lord and to his Family. His wife sat beside him, holding his hand and she sobbed to see his struggle. His presence alone bore quite witness of the truth of the gospel and this man's faithfulness. Finally after a full half hour, filled of mostly silence and struggle, the Son whispered something to his Father and Brother Dye said: "My Son said it's time to bare my testimony and hang up." Which he did. The spirit was so intensely strong in that room it was like angels were attending us.


I felt ashamed sitting their, having gotten up 50 minutes before church began. It gave a whole new meaning of church attendance for me. Brother Dye encouraged us all to stand when we can and bare my testimony and so I do that now.


I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true gospel of Christ on this earth. Joseph Smith is a Prophet of God as sure as Abraham was and Thomas S. Monson is today. I am grateful for Goodly Parents and Grandparents who have taught me to turn always to God. I am grateful for a righteous priesthood holder in my home. I'm grateful for a temple in my city full of sin, a light amid the darkness and the truth among the lies. I know that God knows me, I know Jesus Christ is my Brother. I know I can be with my family forever. I know that I will have Adam forever. I'm grateful to be in this promised land of opportunity where I can gain knowledge and an education and I know that the most important things in my life will I be able to take with me into the next.


This is my testimony in the name of Jesus Christ.

3 comments:

Margie said...

Beautiful!!! What more can I say.

Lesley said...

Thanks so much Melissa.

Bea said...

Thanx sweetheart, a very tender time, and a truly inspirational meeting. I appreciate your testimony. :o) Sometimes in Testimony meeting people say exactly what is on my mind so all I can say is, "DITTO"
Love you :o)