Wednesday, September 10, 2008

September 11th

Today is the Anniversary of September 11th, 2001. We all know what happened on that infamous day seven years ago and I’d just like to share my thoughts and feelings.
I was fifteen years old and like every other morning, my mom had the Today Show on. I was brushing my teeth in her room when I heard my brother say “hey look, that’s New York!” We’d just returned from their a few weeks earlier so it caught all our interest as we watched the first smoky tower.

I remember the sudden chaos felt as Matt and Katie tried to get information and they kept showing footage. They didn’t really know what was going on and they were trying to get information when suddenly as I sat on the edge of my mom’s bed a second plane flew into the towers. I’d never been more afraid in my life. I had to leave for school after that. The buses were already shipped out and I started telling many of my friends. I remember in particular Kory Wood DID NOT believe me. He thought I had made a mistake or it was some kind of sick joke. I tried to tell him it wasn’t and he still didn’t believe me.

School was eerie. We spent most of the day talking about what was going on, our principal wanted us all to have the T.V.s on in the classrooms to listen to our new President tell us what was going on. As we were at school we heard the Pentagon was hit, and that another plane went down and we were all afraid. What if someone was going to attack Hill Air? Who would be next? I remember crying. I was one of the only ones. I felt stupid so I lied and said I had family near New York and I was worried about them…the truth: I was scared and shocked. Seven years later the shock and fear has become numb I fear. Luckily my Humanities teacher had us write letters to our children to capture the moment and to remember how it felt.
So what can we do seven years later to honor those who lost their lives that day? I’m not sure. I suppose the best way to honor them is to hang together as brothers and sisters like the first few weeks after the attacks. To appreciate what we have and recognize where our blessings came from. The most comforting part of 9/11/01 was when President Hinckley spoke to us. I don’t know what he said or how long he spoke. I just remember thinking: President Hinckley knows what happened, which means God knows what is happening and we will be protected and blessed.

I’m proud to be an American and I am grateful for that opportunity. I hope that years from now when we are read about in history books our actions following that tragic day will be honorable and good.

1 comment:

Margie said...

I taught a history class today full of sophomores, and told them that you were a sophomore on September 11th, and spent your day at school listening to the news reports. We watched a documentary on 9/11 too. What a sad day for all of us. I took the pictures of the flags that lined 500 West yesterday. My heart felt extra tender this year after just being in NY last month.