Monday, September 15, 2008

I'M A (substitute) TEACHER

So I finally quite Wells Fargo leaving with a smile and a cartwheel! Seriously I did a cartwheel in the parking lot while former co workers Richelle and Emanuel held my stuff. I haven't talked very much about this job that has been a huge part of my life and livleyhood for the past two years but thats because my blog is my happy place :).

So now I'm a sub and I really enjoyed my first day. The way you are assigned jobs is through the Internet so I was up at 5:30 trying to find a job. I was worried that I wouldn't get one so I picked Cimmaron Memorial High School (Baptism by Fire-HIGH SCHOOL). I had to be their at 6:30 AFREAKENM! As soon as I saw the school I was nervous! The people were really nice and really helpful which was great cause I didn't want to ask a student!

I got to the classroom and there were NO LESSON PLANS!!! So what was I supposed to do with 130 high school kids? Babysit? Luckily I went to the department chair and asked him for help. He and another lady were so wonderful it was fantastic. They got me a DVD player and Planet Earth DVDs and set it up for the kids and told them they had to write 20 facts about the movie.
By the middle of first period a lady from the office came in with the lesson plans from the teacher. They were vague and confusing. I didn't bother with the first period because I believed that their wasn't enough time to do them all. First period their were 18 kids, second period their were over 40! Their was a lot going on. I warned them about confiscating cell phones and all that stuff but they were still crazy as a bed bug. We were all having a hard time with her instructions. Third Period was the WORST lol. One girl kept begging to watch Finding Nemo. We didn't even have it in the class. They were passing notes which were inappropriate and confiscated by yours truly and stapled to the note I gave the teacher. I was very thorough in my report :). I thought I had a prep period but I didn't because one of the other teacher had too many students in her class and sent them off to me. Their were only twelve in that class.

All in all it was a great day! I was happy to have done it and happy to be at home. Because we only have one car our friend LaVon came to our rescue!!! He came all the way clear across town to pick me up! What an awesome friend. Otherwise I would have been stuck in 107 degree weather for almost three hours waiting on Adam.

WEDNESDAY IS FIRST GRADE AT ADAM'S SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't be happier!

1 comment:

Margie said...

I'm glad your first day went well. My advice to you is to have a lot of fun. I really enjoy the students I teach. In High School, my creed is if I show them respect they will show me respect. I have only had one problem with one studentin the past few years of teaching. I do realize that it is Weber High and it may be harder in other schools. I love the flexiblity I get as a sub. I love the different changes each day (I don't get bored). I love having the opportunity to reach out and show love to a student who may not feel happy or included in school. I love to smile at the students and give them encouragement. I love it because you have the choice to make a difference in someones life...even if it is just for one day...you can lift others up. I am proud of you.