Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Countdowns Begin

Author: Adam Turney

The presidential elections are coming up in a short three weeks. It is incredibly exciting to be part of such a historic election period. Those of us that vote have a pretty important choice to make, even if our votes don't necessarily count for who is elected. Wait, you didn't know that our votes don't really select the president? It is true. Our vote we cast is part of the popular vote which is used to show who the people want as president. However, it is the electoral college that selects who is going to be the next president. Those individuals that we voted for to be our state Senate and House of Representatives members are the ones who select who is going to be the next president. Also, certain states like California are very democratic so they almost never vote Republican (that is 55 electoral points right there). Those of you in Utah that are voting Republican are probably pretty safe because I am confident that the majority of voters in Utah are registered Republicans. I am incredibly excited to be able to vote on November 4, to be able to cast my ballot for Barack Obama because I feel he is the best candidate. If it was Mitt Romney I would have been much more likely to vote Republican...but such is not the case.

In the meantime, I have something much more exciting to look forward to. On October 20 I am going to see The Killers...this is the most amazing band I have heard in forever (or at least 27 years). I just sat down to make a music CD for our drive to St. George and listened to some of their music and got the chills from the overwhelming excitement I am filled with for the concert. This year has been an amazing year for us (especially me). Even though I am anxious for the school year to be over (I will graduate with my first Master's degree) I am looking forward to all that is filling each month. I have the best life and am loving every minute of it. I am going to miss playing World of Warcract (only one week left to play) as I have sacrificed countless hours playing it, but I hope to fill that void with more productive activites...like reading books that will increase my intellect so I can carry on smart conversations with Tim.

No comments: