Friday, October 10, 2008

100th Post!

Happy Birthday/100th post day to me! In honor of one of the most interesting delightful people you know... and to celebrate the 100th post and one year of blogging, I would like to present to you 100 things about ME that you may not already know...

1) When I was in high school I won first place in the state of Utah for high school journalism. I was also published in several journals for short stories and poetry.

2) I watched the Bountiful temple be built and I remember looking out my window for the first time when the lights came on! When I went through for the dedication, we were seated in the bridal room. My mom gave me a pink CTR ring and told me that when I grew up I could be married there if I chose the right, so I've always wanted to be married there.

3) My favorite cat Smokey died when I was 16. I still miss him sometimes.

4) I went to College with an African Prince. His Grandfather was the king of an African country (I'm not sure which one) and he was like 3rd in line. We couldn't pronounce his name so we called him Prince.

5) Every time I visit another country I light a candle in a cathedral and pray for my family and friends.

6) I love to read, it is one of my favorite activities and I'm always searching for a good book.

7) I enjoy competition, in fact I am perhaps too competitive I'm probably more competitive than you are, I know I am. I really love to win.

8) Sometimes in Russia I would wake up in the middle of the night and watch the snow fall. It made me feel inspired.

9) I am pretty emotional. I cry over pretty much anything. Once when we were dating Adam and I decided we needed to take a break from each other. Every morning for one week he'd leave love letters on my front porch. One day, I e-mailed him a school project of mine so that he could print it off for me. They arrived prompt on my porch, stapled and hole punched. I thought it was so sweet that he went the extra mile for me and hole punched the paper I started to cry.

10) I am very good with money and budgeting.

11) My favorite T.V. Shows in order of when I fell in love with them are as follows: Ghostwriter, Little House on the Prairie, Friends, The Office.

12) All four of my Grandparents attended my wedding.

13) I started a club called the MB Hunt club. It was based off the TV show Ghostwriter. It stood for Melissa and Becky Hunt for clues club. All my Ensign family cousins were involved and we'd all take notes spying on the adults. It was very boring and we were upset that there were not mysteries to solve.

14) I am very indecisive when it comes to making any sort of purchase and I always look for a good sale!

15) I am highly opinionated and judgmental...sorry

16) I judge books by their cover...and don't read them if I don't find them attractive. I'm sure I've missed out on many good books :(

17) One day at Wells Fargo I balanced my drawer and was over .30 cents. I took it home just so I could say I successfully robbed a bank.

18) My favorite book of all time is "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens (the unabridged un-disney version) which I read every year at Christmas time because of my Dad.

19) At least three of my In-Laws have seen me naked Allie- cause I was changing in her room, Avery- cause my swimsuit came down after a wave hit me, and Aubrey- cause she walked in while I was showering.

20) I don't sleep in anymore, even on days that I can- because Adam never EVER sleeps past 8:00 in the morning...I've seen it happen maybe once.

21) I used to read my roommates journals to see if I was mentioned *oops did I say that out loud hee hee*

22) I have broken up with five boys

23) I've been dumped five times (four of those times were with boys I had already broken up with)

24) I have kissed five boys and one man (wooh wooh) Justin, Brian, John, Kyle, Drew, and Adam. I regret three of them (Brian, John, and Kyle- I gave those kisses like pretzels).

25) My favorite Comedian is Dimitri Martin- Check him out

26) I used to hate the drive to Island Park up the I-15 North. Now I dream of it.

27) The best thing about Las Vegas is I get to be different and stand out because I am a Latter-day Saint.

28) If I could be cast in a T.V. Show it would be Lost, because then I could hang around with Sawyer and Jack. But especially Sawyer.

29) I used to HATE the Beatles. I blamed them for my car sickness. My Dad used to tell me that I had to listen to them because "one day you will like a band I don't like called the ladybugs and I will have to listen to them..." I remember thinking to myself the Ladybugs is a stupid name for a band- and I was like 7

30) My first date I was asked to go to a birthday party we were both invited to (wooh) and he said he'd pay ten bucks for my discounted entry to Lagoon. He didn't. Good thing I brought my wallet. I always brought my wallet with him...good thing too!

31) I remember learning to read. My mom would give me these books called "Easy Readers" and I'd sit out on our back porch and try to read out loud. I remember it was so frustrating I thought EASY Reader...more like HARD reader. This was pre-Kindergarten.

32) I decided to go into teaching for the convenience of the hours with raising a family and the SUMMER BREAKS! However, as I go deeper into the program I've discovered the joy and wonder that teaching is and I'm kinda addicted.

33) My favorite season is the Fall because I love Thanksgiving, Halloween, and my BIRTHDAY! I think it is a beautiful time of year.

34) I cried like a baby when Dobby (in Harry Potter) died. Adam had to console me. I couldn't even read through the tears and had to take a break from reading. It was a glorious scene.

35) When I was little and Megan was a baby, I touched her eyeball to see if it felt like mine or if a babies eyeball was different. Umm I found out that babies don't like it when you do that, especially if you scratch their cornea and make them bleed from the eyeball...

36) I don't actually like SPORTS (no surprise) but I do like sports stories, inspirational or underdog sports teams/players to be exact. I think a good story really makes a team who they are and that is why I cheer for the Red Sox.

37) One time I took all my mom's foundation and covered myself in it and pretended I was a mannequin. It was probably a dumb idea. I can't remember if I got in trouble though.

38) I used to play kissing tag in first grade, however, the teachers said we could spread germsthat way so instead I invented pinching bum tag. That was also yanked from games too inappropriate to play. I didn't understand cause my parents played all the time...

39) I was only sent to the principals office once when I was in first grade again...I was sent because a boy bit my elbow (TJ was his name) once their he begged me not to tell but I felt it was my obligation to. The principal made him try to bite his own elbow in front of me for what seemed like forever. Even I thought that was a bit extreme, a young girl watching a boy be humiliated. Then the principal told him that you can't do things to others that you can't do to yourself. Odd.

40) Once when my friend was on vacation I went into her house and stole her glass turtle that had rocks in it. I put it back later, I don't know if she ever noticed. Sorry Megan :)

41) I prefer comfort to fashion. I believe being yourself is more important than being liked or admired.

42) I'm a bed hog. I steal sheets and space and every once in a while it is so bad Adam has to get out of bed and pull me to my side or adjust my body while I sleep. I like to sleep with one leg slung over him and he hates it lol.

43) Despite #42, Adam and I love our Queen bed and don't ever foresee changing to a king size because when we wake up at night each of us likes to feel around for each other to know they are there.

44) I am a clean FREAK! My Kitchen drawers stand as proof of that, as does my color coordinated closet.

45) Because my parents married their high school sweetheart as did many in my family, I was on the lookout for a hubby when I was 14.

46) I Dear John-ed Two missionaries at the same time. One was more serious than the other of course.

47) I cried when Don Knotts, or Barney, died. Hard.

48) I hate dead bodies. I can deal with live creepy crawlers and animals and humans but if they are dead I get so grossed out.

49) I picked out my wedding dress when I was 16 at a young women's activity. I cut it out and put it in a folder. When I went to pick out my wedding dress I looked all over and finally found one that I fell in love with. It was the most wonderful dress I'd ever seen. About a week later I got out my young women's binder and discovered I'd picked out the EXACT same dress as I had four years earlier. The style was named Sydney...which is where Adam served his mission and one of my favorite names for a Daughter.

50) I felt bad for both parents when they turned 40, thinking it was the end of their life. Now I'm only 17 years away from that. Crap.

51) I decided I wanted to be an actress when I fell in love with Harrison Ford and dreamed of falling in love with him on screen

52) My first concert was Donny Osmond when I was 19 at BYU-Idaho. Since then I've seen Tim McGraw and Faith Hill, Brad Paisley, Rodney Atkins, Tim McGraw again, Toby Keith, Avril Lavign, James Blunt, Jessey McCartney, Michael Buble, Andre Bochelli, Elton John, and Josh Groban. I've seen may more but those are my highlights.


53) I love musicals, my favorite is Les Miserables which I get to see for my birthday! I love it so much that it was a highlight of my trip to London. When they began the Overture I began bawling and didn't stop the whole way through. It was magical.

54) I prefer cold to heat, and I live in Las Vegas.

55) Despite the fact that I am an emotional human I don't like to cry in front of people. My mom can invariably always make me cry but I don't like crying in front of my mom...I don't know why. When I went to the Louvre I called my mom to let her know that I was there and she made me cry by starting to cry.

56) Speaking of my mom, my senior year of high school she wrote me a letter just about every day and I saved each of them.


57) I'm a hand holder, I love to hold hands. When Adam and I are together I love that physical connection, even when we are just sitting around at home.

58) My favorite form of communication is love letters, Adam used to write me beautiful love letters when we were dating and even now during every special occasion he will write me letters. He has beautiful words.


59) My ideal job would be anything in my pajamas.

60) I secretly want to have a daughter first :)


61) Although I love Yogurt, it makes me gag. I don't eat it in front of people because I will sit their and gag it down. It must be the texture...anyway, recently I was eating yogurt in our bedroom and I thought Adam was in the other room but he was just around the corner and I began gaging big time. He feels really bad for me, as do I :(

62) I love Subway sandwiches. That is all. Boo Quiznos!


63) There aren't a lot of things I hate...but I hate milk. I think it tastes disgusting. Yes Mom, Hate.

64) I can't fall asleep with the closet doors open, or without covers. I just feel comforted if i'm all snug in my bed.


65) My perfect weather is RAIN! I love the rain and wish that it would rain every day. I also prefer winter to summer and fall to spring...I just like feeling cozy.

66) Both Adam and I are the Oldest in our families...according to the birth order, it is not a match made in heaven and I admit it will be an eternal power struggle but we all know the wife wins lol.


67) Since I turned 10 on 10/10/1995, I began to look forward for 10/10/10 which is my 25th birthday. Nobody can beat that birthday...NOBODY!

68) Adam and I are three years and 51 weeks apart. We like sharing our birthday week.


69) I am fairly O.C.D. Or C.D.O. (alphabetical order) When it comes to neatness, clothing being color and style organized, the even and odd numbers of bowls and cups in my cubbords being dispersed, writing notes (I usually write them about three times) writing letters and just writing in general.

70) I once went Dumpster Diving for a gift card from WalMart. We were so poor we couldn't afford to NOT dumpster dive in 112 degree heat.


71) Adam and I lived with my Grandparents right after we got married. Then we lived with a random lady in Las Vegas who had advertised for a young couple. We didn't actually live alone as a couple until January 2007.

72) I've been fortunate enough to visit the temple grounds: Salt Lake, Manti, Logan, St. George, Bountiful, Ogden, Jordan River, San Diego, Redlands, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Fresno, Oakland, Las Vegas, Idaho Falls, Palmyra, Boston, Preston England, Copenhagen Denmark, Stockholm Sweden, and a few more that escape me at the moment...or not maybe I got them all.


73) A few days ago Adam and I celebrated our 2 year 2 month and 2 day anniversary on October 7th! I can't wait until March 12th 2013 (7th year 7th month 7th day...maybe we'll go gamble)

74) I once attended a writers conference after winning a writing contest.


75) After a Beach House trip I had such great time watching Andy, Jeff, Jeremy, and Russell singing We Didn't Start the Fire-By William Joel (Love, Dwight) That I got the song and memorized it and learned what most of the things were so that the next trip I could sing with them...they never did it again.

76) I still dream of Russian Burritos sold by the Iranian guy and the cheese squares that were actually triangles.


77) I'll run a 5k in November and someday soon I'll be running a half marathon (In the next year)

78) I am a nerd for Sylar (Gabrial) the Villain on Heroes, also Michael Scott- He seduces me with comedy.


79) I love my Birthday...I think its the best day in the year and I would celebrate it every day if I could. Adam thinks I'm crazy but I think it is because my parents made such a big deal about it. So don't think I'm weird or selfish or anything, I only get one day a year and I gotta make it good!

80) My favorite beverage is orange juice and for the first 18 years of my life I drank it every morning. These last five years I've been all dried up :( We buy it occasionally but thanks to hurricanes and the economy I don't get it very often, thanks economy.


81) I've found a new passion for Books on CD. I've officially jumped into the realm of geek!

82) This year I will be celebrating both American and Canadian Thanksgiving. That's what happens when your Best Girlfriend is Canadian. Thanks international affairs.


83) Adam told me that he was getting me a pet rock two years ago...it turned out it was actually a pet turtle, because on our honeymoon in Mexico I fell in love with the little tortugas swimming in the little pond by our hotel...so we named him Rocky because he is our pet rock.

84) I am literally afraid of silence. I get clammy when I don't know what to say with strangers so I avoid them...does that make me shy? I refuse to be shy. So I usually just end up saying something stupid or ridiculous. I blame my mother.


85) Hey look it's 85! I was born in 85! That makes me 23! The other day I was subbing and for some reason kids always want to know how old you are and how long you've been married to Mr. Turney for so I lie to them and tell them I'm 56 and I've been married to Mr. Turney for 27 years. They are always so confused but I stick to it. And if they are old enough they realize they can figure out my age from the year I was born, but when I tell them 1985 they are amazed that I was born in the previous century and believe me that I'm 56.

86) At Adam's school I was once mistaken for his daughter by a first grader.


87) I have the BEST job in the WHOLE WORLD! I am so grateful to be a sub and I love every minute of it!

88) When I get anxious I clean...it soothes me.


89) One Month before the Office began I went on a TV cleanse so that I could enjoy the office without a ton of junk swirling around in my head. It was actually really nice.

90) I broke my arm and nobody (except me) realized it until the next day when I was playing dodge ball and I caught the ball and my wrist looked weird. I got a hot pink cast.


91) Again...another crying story. I found out about Santa Clause when I turned 11 years old. I bawled and bawled. I felt betrayed by my parents, I felt I had lost a friend. I'm kinda sentimental like that, whereas Megan just laughed fully expecting to get the same amount of presents.

92) When I'd tease about Megan being the youngest and most privileged I was teasing...sure enough she DID get a car by default when we left. LAME!


93) I was a hair model my Jr. and Senior year. The guy chose me because you can do ANYTHING with my hair: straight curly wavy etc. and I was contracted to have short hair. That's why I kept my hair short and dyed it only blond those years.

94) I love the Today show and watch it just about every morning


95) I'm so sick of the debates I'm getting to the point where I avoid it at every cost. I'm basically voting on economy and education reasons.

96) I love April Fools day and have performed some awesome jokes, especially to my family. I've hidden the van, put koolaid packets in all the fossets so that water comes out pink or green or blue, this was done after I put Vaseline on all the door handles, I've pretended to get engaged, I've pretended to break up with long time boyfriends, the best was last year when I pretended to be an old lady with a lot of money and I called the Wells Fargo investment guy looking to invest...poor guy didn't see it coming and called me back on my phone, I let it go to voice mail so he would know that it was me and he was really cute about it.


97) I have a secret that I want to tell but I can't on this blog and I will share it later but I'm too embarased I guess so this will be the slot for that when I actually accomplish my secret (no I'm not pregant or planning on being pregnant and yes it is a good secret:)

98) I started this post last may and have worked on it for several months, Its pretty boring sorry :)


99) I would like to live again in another country and if I could chose it would be England or Australia. I do need to learn another language though so maybe Spain or Portugal.

100) I am enormously sentimental. I save everything and tuck away every memory and thats how I remember things that happen to my friends and family. I'm not a stalker :) I just love you guys and feel so tender twoards each of you.

6 comments:

Lilian said...

Happy Birthday Melissa! I thought of you first thing this morning!! I'd sing for you, but I'm sure that Granpa and Granma did that and I wouldn't want to try to compete with the lovliness of their sweet serenade!

Keep practicing the William Joel song. The beach house is in the very near future!! YAY!

Lesley said...

Happy Birthday (I left you a comment on your b-day post)!! I enjoyed your 100 things post. But in reference to #67 I have had a 31hour birthday (completely true), that is pretty hard to beat. #75 as Lilian said, next year (I love t'ocean). #79 I love my b-day too. I always have a different feeling on that day, maybe it's ownership or everyone treats you so nicely, I don't know I just love it!! I hope your day is wonderful.
PS I want to know the secret.

Margie said...

What a fun read for me. I'm impressed with your 100th post and 100 posts. I think I pretty much knew most of the things with the exception of a few. I don't remember the foundation story, so you maybe that is why you didn't get into trouble. You are great!!

Tara said...

I already said Happy Birthday on Facebook, but I was reading through this list and I saw:

"45) Because my parents married their high school sweetheart as did many in my family, I was on the lookout for a hubby when I was 14."

DEFINITELY made me smile. You and me both, sister (err...cousin). I blame all our family's happy high school sweethearts for keeping me deluded in high school. Thankfully, now that I'm graduated, I have come to terms with the fact that unlike most of our relatives and all the Disney princesses, I didn't meet Prince Charming at age 16 hahah. Oh well :]

Anywho, happy birthday...again!

Bree Johnson said...

this made me laugh so hard i love your honesty and how natural your writing seems to come bank robbery was awesome!

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Happy birthday, Melissa. I hope it's been a great day. I enjoy reading this and knowing more about you. You made me laugh several times on this post. You are not so very different from the Melissa who used to bonk Christopher on the head and got bonked back as well :-) Delightfully spunky. Glad you are family.