Wednesday, April 8, 2009

New York! Day One

I have to apologize in advance for the length of this post! I'll try to do more pictures than text...

New York was a BLAST! First off, I have to thank our dear friends Joy and LaVon for not only taking us to the airport and picking us up, but they also brought us DELICIOUS gourmet chocolate dipped strawberries from Edible Arrangements. They are such great examples to us as friends. I told LaVon a while ago that if I was investigating the church and they were the only example of a Latter-day Saint I'd get baptized on the spot because of their amazing Christlike examples. So here is a picture of me at the airport enjoying their generous gift!
We flew in to JFK around 6:30 am on Saturday and thanks to some research from my MIL we found there was a train that goes directly to the subway and from there we went to our hotel. Sure it took an extra half hour or so but it ended up saving us a hundred dollars to get to and from the airport and skip the taxi thing. It only cost seven dollars a person!

Although we were EXHAUSTED we didn't want to waste one moment in the Big Apple! We were able to drop the bags off at our hotel (Mariott Marquis at Times Square) and head out into the city for some fun. First stop Grand Central Terminal. I found a tour that we printed off from the internet which we took around the station.
After Grand Central, we headed up 5th Ave. and hit the American Girl Store. It was a dream I've always had and it was awesome! There was a doll hospital, a doll hair parlor in which you could get your dolls hair done for 20 bucks, and a tea parlor. All very expensive but fun! I loved the displays of all the dolls. Adam saw the price of the dolls and his eyes popped out.
Next door we skipped over to Sacs 5th Ave. It was fun to be there, especially with Adam because he was so vocally discusted with the prices. There was a Burberry scarf for 800 dollars and he about died. It was awesome.

We went over to St. Patricks Cathedral after that. I love going to Cathedrals! It was interesting to see such a building among the sky scrapers.
We LOVED the New York City Library! It was awesome. We were walking around and found a display that looked interesting and found out it was one of the origional Gutenburg Bibles! It was sooo cool!

We walked up to Central Park which was one of my highlights. I love that there is this enormous beautiful park in the middle of a thriving, busy city. Everything just slows down in the park.
We went to get tickets to a Broadway show and got tickets to Shrek. It was AMAZING!!!! We laughed the entire time. Some of my favorite lyrics include this one " Hello fair princess Oh look the moon Is out tonight You remind me of that moon Because it’s big and bright And by big I don’t mean chubby Obviously you’re not fat But your personality is biggish Is what I meant by that." It was very clever and spectacular.

3 comments:

Georgia said...

Adam and Melissa,

Your first day in NYC was so fun to read about and see photos of. It brought back awesome memories of the times I've been there. Can't wait to see/hear about the other days...

Bea said...

Those strawberries look scrumptious, with a start like that it had to be all good. I have been to NY once 20 years ago, but your post is well written, I could feel your excitement. $800 !!!!! I'm with Adam "I only wanted a scarf not a whole wardrobe." Are you going to write more? I am looking forward to it. Glad you are home safe. :o)

Lesley said...

I would LOVE to go to American Girl Place!!! Did you buy anything there? Baby Turney needs her first doll. Her Great-Auntie-Lesley LOVES dolls. I will have to buy her one....but not an American Girl :-)