Thursday, April 9, 2009

New York...Day 2

For Sunday we had a nice relaxing day planned.

First, we hopped on a subway and headed for the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I have always loved Museums and have looked forward to the Met since the last time I was in New York eight years ago. Unfortunately, the last time I went to the Met, Sean decided he was going to wander all over the museum by himself and forced Megan and I to stay in one spot while my parents went searching all over. Thanks Sean.
So we loved the Met. I don't think I've ever been to a museum with Adam before so it was a fun date. He was surprised how HUGE the whole place was! He was also impressed with their collection of artwork and artifacts. We both enjoyed the Egyptian and Middle Ages artifacts. I especially enjoyed the European paintings. By the time we'd seen all we had wanted to see, our legs were aching!

(I thought I had to complain when I have to wear high heals! Imagine wearing these golden flip flops into battle complete with golden toe protectors!)
(My night in shining armor!)
(Me with one of my favorite paintings by Van Gogh)

We grabbed a hot dog and took a stroll in Central Park. It was a beautiful day! We probably walked about a mile enjoying the park until we reached the west side and we went to the American Natural History Museum where "Night at the Museum" took place.
We probably should have gone here before we went to the Met because after seeing the Met, neither of us were very impressed. We did get to watch a movie at the Hayden planetarium which was kind of cool. If any of you remember Ross and Rachel's first date on friends when he takes her to work (he worked at the NHM) and wanted to seduce her by taking her to the planetarium and play the video of all the stars, it was exactly like that, except the booming voice over was less comical as it was Robert Redford.

We took a subway to Harold Square on 34th street and walked to the Empire State Bldg. Because there was such a long line we decided to wait until another day to head to the top and just wander around the streets. This led to the discovery of the Flat Iron Bldg. Adam had seen it in some pictures on the street and had been curious about it. We learned that it was one of the first sky scrapers in New York, and now it cowers under the shadows of bigger titans.

(Here is a picture of the Flat Iron Bldg with the not so flat iron preggy who by the way spills food on her newly acquired ledge every time she eats which makes her wonder if there was a trail of food on the ground when she had a flat tummy.)

We headed back up to our Hotel in Times Square and explored a little while and got a true New York pizza pie. Mmmm. It was a beautiful day to be in New York City.

2 comments:

Bea said...

What an exciting time!!! and you do look cute with your "tummy". I'm sure I told you before, my mother always wore a bird brooch and when she "spilled" she said she was feeding the bird. I feed the bird quite often. Keeps us humble. :o)
Looks like the weather was cooperating.

Melinda said...

Wow, those golden flip flops are insane! Either the guy who owned those didn't have all his right toes or the couldn't find them all...and I feel like such a loser dork musician because when I saw on your facebook that you were going to the Met, I thought you meant the metropolitan opera.....please, laugh as much as you see fit :-)