Saturday, April 18, 2009

Odd to look back

Every once in a while I become sentimental and look back at the road that led me to where I am now. Sometimes I read old journal entries, other times I look at pictures or watch family movies. Tonight I am reading Adam's blog from four years ago. Adam had a Bebo account that he shared with me while we were dating. He was a much better blogger then than he is now. His entries seemed to be more significant and introspective hahaha.

I came across this one, written by Adam apparently 1308 days ago...long time. This was before an engagement, before Russia, before a wedding and long before baby girl. This was just when Adam and I were just Adam and I...no cares in the world whatsoever. Adam was working on his undergrad and so was I we were dating...he was seriously considering marriage and I was seriously considering making a decision on thinking about if I was ever going to chose between Elder Simpson and Adam Turney. Adam was a lot more sure of our relationship than I was and I'm grateful for his perseverance. As I read this blog I thought of all the things that this decision has made for us and the significance of his writing which neither of us could have predicted at the time:

"Upon selecting a place for me to student teach I found that the only place I wanted that was available was Las Vegas, NV. I am strongly hoping that I will be able to teach there because it provides a nice central location between the families of Melissa and I. I know that we are not engaged yet, but I am planning for all this to happen. Another nice things about Las Vegas is that they are well known for hiring new teachers...one of my instructors informed me that the Las Vegas school district recently hired several hundred full-time substitute teachers, which means that they are in need of full-time credentialed teachers. This is exciting because I could easily have a job waiting for me once I graduate. Also, there are a couple universities in Las Vegas and this means that both Melissa and I can continue our education process. She can get her Bachelors and teaching credentials while I work on my Masters and can slowly work my way into administration."

I knew nothing about Las Vegas. I didn't know my friends, my students, my experiences that I would have here, and 1308 days ago when Adam applied for student teaching here, I didn't know how my life would change. Its funny how things don't work out the way you plan them. I guess it just goes to show that Heavenly Father is in charge and watching out for us.

No comments: