Monday, April 20, 2009

Hoping to Buy a New Home

Author: Adam Turney
Melissa and I have been living in Las Vegas for 2.5 years now. We have been renting a house for the last 2 years and have been incredibly fortunate to live here. However, with our family starting we are desirous to have a home of our own. The housing market in Las Vegas has dropped over the last year and although it has been disastrous for some, it is heaven for a buyer that can afford a mortgage. We have been looking at homes throughout the past year and have fallen in love with one particular new home. The moment we opened the door and walked into the model home we felt so good about the home. However, the first time we visited the home it was too much for our limited income. We have been patient and over the last year the cost of the new home has dropped $50,000 and is in a price range that we can comfortably afford.

We visited the home again this past weekend and feel strong about the prospect of purchasing the home. There are currently only 3 lots left with the model we like and we are hoping we can get one of the homes being built. We have gathered our paperwork and will be submitting the first part Monday. This is an exciting time in our lives. If everything works out then we will have the most amazing year. In 2009 I will graduate with my Master's degree, Melissa will have a baby girl, we will buy a new house, and Melissa will graduate with her Bachelor's degree. We are praying for the Lord to help us through this process. I ask that you pray for us also, so that we can get through the process and be blessed with the wonderful opportunity of owning our own home. Thank you in advance for all your prayers.

For those interested in seeing the home you can click on the link to KBHomes.com. You can take a virtual tour of the home.
*Or you can go back to June 2008 when I first wrote a blog about the house...

6 comments:

Lilian said...

It's a very nice home. I hope you guys are able to accomplish this goal! 2009 will be a great year for your little family. I am happy for you to be able to buy a house... even though it makes things in Vegas a little more permanent.

Bea said...

I looked at the website, took the tour, looked at the June 08 blog (which I missed) and it looks wonderful. You have our prayers. How far is it from where you are now? and what about distance to work? Would you have to change Wards? I agree it makes life in Vegas a more permanent, but that's ok also. One of Granm's favorite adages, "nothing ventured nothing gained" :o)

Melissa said...

Adam says: The new home would be about 10 miles south of where we currently live. It is only 1-2 miles from my school so I could easily ride a bike. Moving there would allow us to continue living with 1 car which saves money each month, and we save on gas since I am so close to school. The ward would be drastically different. We plan to go to the new ward this coming Sunday to get a feel, but we are confident there will be many more young people(haven't had that since married) because it is a newer community.

The home would be more permanent, but it makes sense if we are going to be here for awhile. We never know how long we will be here, but I felt the Lord wanted me here and I am happy I followed that prompting (haha, playing the spiritual card). Although I am sure it would be fun being closer to family, there are many things that we must learn and experience that we wouldn't likely get if living in Utah.

I promised Melissa that one day we will go back to Utah, but I cannot say when because not all aspects of life can be planned for. Owning a house is a huge opportunity for us because it will be a nice investment that will appreciate and hopefully provide a significant down payment when we sell and move elsewhere.

Georgia said...

It is such a beautiful home and I can just see Melissa and Adam living there with a sweet baby girl. Life comes at you fast, doesn't it?

BobN said...

How exciting! Looks great. They're the same builder we used in Colorado.

I got an invalid page message when I clicked on the house link in Firefox, but in Internet Explorer it comes up fine. Just FYI if someone mentions it.

Lesley said...

I'm so excited for your little family! The home is beautiful (I took the tour). Did you know our house has been for sale for 3 weeks? I don't know if you saw my post about it. We are interested in a particular house to buy, I took some pictures last week that I may post soon. I hope it works out for you (and us too).