Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Hope of Israel

Today at Institute, Brother Hansen got up and invited us all to sing Hymn #259 Hope of Israel.
Brother Hansen is a great pianist and began pounding the keys enthusiastically as we all began the first verse. We sang the song with gusto or energetically as the hymn book suggested.

Suddenly within me, something began to stir, and I'm not talking about the Spirit, although that too could be felt. As the piano played loudly and "energetically" Starting with the fourth verse, my little baby bump started moving within:

Soon the battle will be over;
Ev’ry foe of truth be down.
Onward, onward, youth of Zion;
Thy reward the victor’s crown

Hope of Israel, rise in might
With the sword of truth and right;
Sound the war-cry, “Watch and pray!”
Vanquish ev’ry foe today.

Her movements have been sporadic in the past, and this past week she's really been feeling her way around. I may poke and prod at times to get her going and she'll give me some kicks but today it almost felt like she was trying to find the beat. I couldn't help but laugh through the rest of the song, I kid you not she was reacting to the music, it was not a reflex but a reaction to her surrounding. There has never been any poof of when the spirit enters the body, but I felt her little spirit in there, my little hope of Israel, youth of Zion. You can't be more youthful than a fetus.

It got me thinking of the responsibility I have to raise this baby in righteousness. I have to admit I LOVE being pregnant. Its not always comfortable, or easy but to experience this life inside is incredible. Even during those months when I was throwing up all day long, it was a sign of life being created. I know this may sound weird but I even got a little anxious today when I was thinking about the birth and the separation. I'm beginning to realize its going to be a lot harder to have her outside the protection of my body than within. Mindy told me the other day "enjoy being pregnant because they are never inside you again, there is no way back in. I'm going to try to enjoy it while I can and feel my little Hope bounce around inside. No I'm not going to name her Hope, but for now that's what she is :)

4 comments:

Georgia said...

What a sweet post! Thank you for sharing that very tender and spiritual moment, it brought back those feelings of awe and wonder of a life developing inside me and what a total and complete miracle that is!

Maybe Hope makes a nice middle name...

Lesley said...

I love the name Hope. That would be one to consider.....

You'd always have a tender story to share.

Melinda said...

I loved when Samantha would react to music, especially when it was one of my favorites too, no matter what the genre. :-)

Margie said...

I liked this post. It is hard to comprehend that you were my baby girl growing inside, and now you have a baby girl growning inside!!