Saturday, March 21, 2009

Tender Moments

24 years ago I was given a gift. Although I do not remember receiving this gift, it hasn't gone unappreciated. It is a symbol of love as apparent as the tiny dots of hearts abounding in the fabric. A blanket made for me by someone who has been in my life for longer than I can remember- my Aunt Lesley.

Aunt Lesley is very talented and creative and she opens her heart to each of her family members. My mom often speaks of her as the glue of the Marsden family. She talks about how loving Lesley has been to my mom since my parents started dating back in 1894. I believe my parents first date was a double with "Mike and Les." She was the first child born into the Marsden clan as I was the first to join the Tim Marsden clan, and soon the first of the Turney children will join us. Of course I love all my Aunts and Uncles...but this post isn't about them :)

Last November I had a suspicion that I might be pregnant. The weekend before it was confirmed, I spoke with my mom who brought out this small quilt made for me by my Aunt Lesley. She told me about the detail and love put into making this quilt from choosing the best pattern, to adding the lace, and entwining the ribbon around the edges. Mom talked about the gratitude she felt, as she was not the most talented with a sewing machine (neither am I really...its not a talent either of us posses) and here was my aunt making a beautiful blanket and putting as much love and beauty in it as she would have for her own daughter. Thank you Aunt Lesley for my beautiful gift. It is still treasured and I am proud to share it with my daughter shortly.
Five years ago, I was preparing to graduate from high school and move on to BYU-Idaho. As promised, I was given a quilt made by my Grandma. Like the first, this one had a heart pattern. My Grandma picks out each individual quilt pattern with special love and consideration for the grandchild she is creating it for. Each one of us waited patiently for our grandma quilt. I won't go into many of those details, as I know she will cover them at a later time on her own blog; however, I will talk about my own special quilt.

I took my quilt up to BYU-Idaho with me with strict instructions that I was NOT to share it with any boys. I obeyed this instruction for a time until I met and fell in love with a handsome young man named Adam. We shared that quilt many times for movie nights, game nights, and just snuggle time. I had this quilt on my bed and it served as a reminder of home. I was wrapped in the love of my Granma. Still the quilt is a prominent fixture in our family room. We use it for snuggling, naptime, movie night, and just lounging around.

2 comments:

Margie said...

Tender moments!! I loved this post. We are both blessed to be apart of the Marsden family!!

Lesley said...

I was just finishing a post where I used the reference "tender moment" when I went to your blog and saw a post titled "tender moments". Thank you so much for your kind words. I can't believe how beautiful your baby quilt still looks. I remember the great pleasure I had making it for you. Your Mom has always loved hearts and when I saw the fabric I knew it was perfect. It is special to know that my first great-niece will use it just as my first niece did. Love you Meliss!