Friday, March 27, 2009

Dora the Explorer

Author: Adam Turney
I just read an article that addressed the concern that parents have over the introduction of a "tween" version of Dora the Explorer. For those unfamiliar with Dora, she is a young latina girl that goes on little adventures, speaks Spanish, and is adored by younger kids. Her show is innocent fun and appeals to parents because she is simple and she also speaks Spanish, which I often quote while I am waiting in line with my students.

The new Dora is quite the drastic change from her simple look. Her new upgrades include exotic jewelry, a sassy hair style, it looks like make-up, and clothing that says, "Look at me." Her clothing isn't provocative, but it might get a young boy to entertain inappropriate thoughts.

Apparently parents are outraged by the new Dora and have signed multiple petitions to get Matel and Nickelodeon to reconsider releasing the upgraded Dora. Some of her new adventures include going shopping and getting a make over...just what I want my "tween" worrying about because I have tons of money to throw away on that. I can't imagine that the "tween" scene needs another girl to try and model...aren't Miley Cyrus (Hannah Montana), the girls from High School Musical, and the girls from Camp Rock enough drama for now? Why do we need a sassy looking cartoon girl added to the mix?

1 comment:

BobN said...

Haven't seen the tween Dora scene, but if the picture here is representative, I don't see what the fuss is about. She is modestly dressed, no bare midriff a la Kim Possible, and sports no extraneous bodily piercings or tattoos.

Whether it is actually necessary or desirable to have a tween version of Dora is another matter. The sample adventures sound pretty boring.