Sunday, March 8, 2009

A surprise from my past...

So this morning Adam and I went to stake conference. I'm looking around the congregation for other ward members, wondering where they could be. We got there RIGHT on time so we had to sit pretty far back and I was having a hard time locating any when suddenly I spotted a girl that seemed familiar. I did a double take and kept staring. I turned to Adam and said "Adam, I think I went to high school with that girl." He didn't really care but I kept staring at her. Finally as the television was counting down from three minutes I leaned forward to the row ahead of me and asked a boy who I assumed was her brother in law "umm excuse me...but that girl sitting over there...her name is Caitlin right?" He acknowledged that it was indeed Caitlin but I was still unconvinced. After all, what are the odds that five years and one state later we would end up in the same stake? "Caitlin Taylor...from UTAH?" He again confirmed I was correct so I immediately scooted on down and started talking to her.

It was so great to reconnect with this girl that I went through elementary school, jr high and high school with. She was so sweet and looked so great! Apparently her dad (who was a high councilman in my parents ward) told my dad that she was moving to Vegas and so she knew I was here but didn't know how close I was! It was great to see her and catch up with her. She and her Hubby are coming over for dinner Friday night.

Those who have never left their home and moved farish away can't understand the comfort I felt as I talked to her. We'd known each other pretty well in high school but as most people do, lost contact with each other. Seeing her was like getting a little piece of home and I was so grateful for that!

5 comments:

Bea said...

Now that is a warm fuzzy for both of you!!!!!! As members of the Church we learn all the time that the world is a small place. Once when Granpa and I were in London standing outside Westminster Abbey waiting to go in, a man standing right shoulder to shoulder with Granpa was a friend from Bountiful :o)

Bree Johnson said...

THE ROAD THE ROAD!!! DON"T YOU GET IT IT"S THE ROAD! How fun and exciting I wish someone would move to canada ;( Have fun at dinner guys and tell her hi!

reagan: said...

Tell her I say hi! that is totally nuts. I ended up sitting next to wendy tingy's sister on a plane ride to cancun weird. so strange!

Stephanie said...

I still think that is funny! I know what you mean about moving away from home and then out of the blue there is someone that you know. When I was in Connecticut I went to the Manhattan temple and as I was sitting (waiting to do baptisms, all I could do) I look up and had a hard time focussing without my glasses but there was Kira Haffen (now Westbroek) We were so excited to see eachother there. I also ended up in the same ward as a couple girls we went to high school with but they were 2 years older and also a girl that I was in that same ward with when we both lived in Florida. Go figure we have a family video of us holding hands and singing.

Margie said...

I always liked Caitlin. that is so neat and I am glad you get to see her on Friday! Have fun!