Sunday, August 31, 2008

Their is MUSIC in my soul Today

Today we had a fabulous Sacrament Meeting, one I will hold dear to my heart. Instead of the usual line up of speakers, the Bishop gave us all an opportunity to approach the pulpit with our favorite Hymn and express why- then the whole congregation sang one verse of the Hymn. The highlight for me was when Adam got up and talked about how life gets us down sometimes and when that happens we should count our many blessings. After he sat down he whispered to me (cause our car broke down last night). You have to understand that this is a 1996 car which has given us problems the last three years. It has reached the end of it's life as Adam puts it, and we are now looking for a new car. It is depressing. We just got out of debt last February...we have to pay for school each semester and now we are going to have to get a car loan? Anyway I started thinking about blessings that we have- like now would actually be a good time to buy a car while we are not burdened with debt.

Anyway- the program was amazing...after Adam got up I was close to tears, filling the spirit well up inside me. Then someone picked Because I have been given much which reminds me of my mom always...that made a few tears appear but I got under control. Sister Brooksby chose the song "High on the Mountain Top" which made me cry because she talked about the temple. Genevieve Hawks- a little primary girl chose I am a Child of God, followed by Families can be Together Forever (you can imagine what sort of a state I am by this point). Jaden Alisia chose "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief " and then one of my Young Women Carla Josephson was the last to go up. A few people chuckled when she said her favorite Hymn was "Silent Night" but then she explained that we should be constantly thinking of the blessing and miracle of the Saviors Birth. I couldn't even sing it.

It was a beautiful meeting- one I wished would go on forever but couldn't. If any of you are curious, I would have chosen "Their is Sunshine in my Soul Today" and the reason being, Jesus is my Light.

2 comments:

Lesley said...

"There is Sunshine in my Soul Today" is Caitlin's favorite hymn. Some Sundays are more emotional than others. Yesterday my favorite hymn was sung as a rest hymn, "Redeemer of Israel" I couldn't even look at Uncle Mike (who sits on the stand) because I knew I'd start crying. I cried anyway but I would've cried worse had I looked at him (although I did give him one quick glance).

Margie said...

You know me so well. Several months ago it was announced on the program that Margie Marsden was going to sing her favorite hymn. I had only been asked to tell about my favorite hymn and you were right..."Because I have been given much." I just asked if everyone would sing along with me, and it worked out perfect. I couldn't have gotten through it without crying!!