Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Just an Ordinary Day...

So today began like every other day, I woke up and went to get ready leaving Adam behind to dream a few more dreams, after getting ready I kissed him on the cheek gently and he stirred to consciousness. When I kissed my husband on this day, I didn't realize that it would be the last normal day of our lives.

I got in the car and headed to work, nothing extraordinary, a little traffic, and arrived at promptly 8:27. Not long after arriving I received a phone call from an unknown number. "Hello?" I answered as I tried to make the coffee and popcorn for the anticipating customers pacing outside the door, (my manager wasn't too pleased that I answered my phone). "Is this Mrs. Turney," A solemn voice replied back. A chill ran down my spine as my subconscious felt something was very wrong. "Y-yes...this is Melissa Turney, who is this?" The reply was harsh and curt "we have your husband, meet us at Valley View and Arvill with everything you have in your vault in exactly 45 minutes or he will be thrown off the Stratosphere." I shook as I realized this was no joke. I wanted to scream but I couldn't find my voice. The line was dead.

I worried if I got the police involved that I would possibly have problems, there was no way I was going to risk the life of my husband. Thinking quickly, I went to our safe deposit box and pulled out our passports, some cash, and our gun. I tried to be as casual as possible when I asked the lead teller if I could use her keys because I forgot mine. I knew she would have the key to the top lock on the vault which would make my key to the bottom half effective. I slipped back to the vault undetected in the scramble to get ready in the morning. I quickly realized these men were not going to be happy whoever they were because their was only about 25o thousand in the vault. People always expect banks to carry a lot more, so I began pulling teller drawers out of their nigh time slots and dumping the cash into my purse, my shirt, my pants anything I could do. What seemed like an eternity passed by in about one minute. I threw the keys to the lead teller as she asked where I was going as I awkwardly hobbled away..."uhhh, I have to go to the bathroom I'll be right back." I knew I wouldn't be back and I only had about five minutes at most before people started to go back to the vault to get their drawers. Once out of sight I ran to the car spilling one dollar bills out of my pants as I scurried. I was almost in an accident as I pealed out of the parking lot and sped away.

My heart was racing, my head pounding as I dodged cars and ran through lights, I would not stop until I was at Valley View and Arvill, about 12 miles away. My cell phone rang, causing me to jump, looking at the caller id I quickly decided to avoid that call- my manager...no doubt he'd want an explanation before he called the police. My heart plummeted as I heard the sirens behind me, I took a few sharp turns, thinking I'd lost them once or twice and then I heard the helicopters overhead. My cell rang again, Adam? "WHERE ARE YOU," I demanded. "Uhh I'm at school setting my classroom up, where are you? Your work just called and-" "Listen to me Adam, someone is trying to rob the bank using me, you have to meet me at the airport. They know who were are and they want to kill you...and they'll want to kill me once I don't show up." Not waiting for a reply I hung up the phone, and began throwing stacks of cash out the window- at this point I don't even know why, I just want to get rid of the evidence. I guess I panicked ok? I entered a tunnel and with my purse strapped onto my back I tucked and rolled out my car running up the side of the underpass as I went. I was pretty sure the cops didn't see me as they turned the corner because they were probably distracted by the fiery crash that used to be my car. Proceeding on foot I ran to the nearest street which happened to be Desert inn and Paradise- Perfect. I found a taxi quickly who didn't ask questions when the dirty out of breath twenty something asked to be taken to the airport quickly. I arrived at the airport just minutes before Adam and purchased two tickets to the first flight out of the country which happened to be a direct flight to Paris. I didn't breath until we were off the ground, then kissing Adam I explained everything to him. Now we are looking for an apartment. Don't look for us, don't call us. We will contact you when the time is right- this blog will self destruct after it is read...

**Adam told me everything I write about is boring and I need to write something to make my life seem better, so there you go Adam**

5 comments:

Bea said...

You are crazy Melis, your day sounded normal until you introduced the Stratosphere, how could someone kidnap Adam when you left him snug and get him to the Stratosphere before you got to work, after realizing you were on one I enjoyed the story. But don't give up your day job :o)

Lilian said...

OH my gosh! How scary for you! I'm sure the thought of your loved one in trouble scared you to death! Especially if he was at the Stratosphere!!!! OH MY! Just looking at that thing gives me the heebie jeebies and the thought of Adam dangling on one of those rides is enough to make me rob a bank!!! Thank goodness you are safe enough to update your blog! You'll be in my prayers! Stay safe! I hope you soon feel safe enough to come to Utah for the wedding!! You freak! ;-)

Bree Johnson said...

only you - and only i would fall for it till half way though

Joy Salmon said...

wow! you are an amazing writer Melissa! You had me going, confussed, but going for quite some time- excellent work!

Margie said...

You are a great writer!! Let Adam know that I don't think anything you write about is boring. It is all interesting to me!!