Thursday, August 14, 2008

I don't do toilets

Over the last four years, the graduating class of 2004 has dwindled as we've paired off two by two. Watching my friends begin their lives and start families has been a fun, sometimes sad thing. Becky was first, followed by Sarah, who was the first to have a baby (who passed away three years later) My best friend from High School Jessica got married and was divorced less than a year later which was heartbreaking to watch. Several of my friends have since had babies or are trying to have babies and we are all growing in different ways.

That said...

I've often heard these friends complain about certain responsibilities: cooking, cleaning, etc...(mine is grocery shopping...this I loath) my favorite is my friend Regan who claims to lack the domestic gene olo...(I guess that's like out loud...something it was meant to be lol but I had a dyslexia moment apparently). Nothing compass to the one I heard from someone who will remain nameless: "I don't do toilets. I don't like them, its gross, I don't do them." Now I don't like grocery shopping- but it needs to get done and so I drag myself to the store. Many times I don't like cooking (but I often enjoy cleaning, I don't know why. But I don't NOT do something because I don't want to do this...

I thought about this last night as I was scrubbing toilets in my own home...the thought that someone could be so averse to the thought of toilet cleaning that they avoid it all together-and I have prof that she did...I have cleaned her toilets...

In 2005 before the Christmas season started Adam and I went to this friend's house to clean it as a favor to her and her husband while she was away...we knew that he would have done nothing but make messes as this is what he usually did- He has since become a very different person in his defence. So we cleaned up the downstairs of his town home. I went to work on the toilet- which hadn't been cleaned in probably over a year... it was discussing to say the least but I went to work on it. Finally after over 25 minutes of scrubbing and bleaching voila it was clean.

So as I think of the phrase "I don't do toilets, I don't like to" I often wonder what would have happened if our forebears had uttered phrases like " I don't do diapers, if he wants to learn he's going to have to grow up and do it himself cause I don't like it. Guess what- sometimes you gotta do what you don't wanna do.

4 comments:

Candace said...

I concur. However, I don't vaccuum. I don't like it. :)

Reagan said...

Agreed. I still dont bake, sew, or scrapbook...more for the safety of others...I do toilets though...;)

Bea said...

Having to do toilets is a reminder that, we DO have indoor plumbing :o)What has liking got to do with any household chore. We all would like maids etc but we don't so, start scrubbing.

Lilian said...

After five boys and a husband. I don't like to do toilets either.

However..... somebody's gotta do it!