Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Snow Day!!!


Author: Adam Turney
Today it snowed heavily in Las Vegas. The entire city was covered in snow, which is an extremely rare event to behold for this area. It snows on a yearly basis, but never to the point where you can go outside and build a snowman or see people at the park sledding. Today was parent-teacher conferences and the snow got so heavy (by Las Vegas standards) that we were encouraged to call the parents and cancel some of the appointments to ensure their safety. Then a rumor began that we might have to cancel school for Thursday. Driving home from a work party it did not seem necessary to cancel school, but about 9:30 PM the school district announced that school would indeed be canceled for Thursday. When Melissa and I were watching the news earlier it was mentioned that school could be canceled and I immediately joked that we needed to say a prayer...but I wasn't really joking. Anyway, I get to enjoy a relaxing day off from school and hopefully the snow will keep up and they will cancel school again for Friday...but then my students couldn't give me the presents they got me so I think I can handle enduring through school on Friday (I am excited for Christmas).

3 comments:

Marie said...

It makes me smile to think that a whole city can close down for 3 inches of snow. I hope you enjoyed your day off.

Margie said...

Las Vegas was the top story on the Today Show today!!

Lilian said...

Sound like the odds in Vegas just took an interesting turn! I'm surprised the city can still function with so much snow! We got that much snow once... oh wait, it was Sunday morning between 8am and 9am! Ha ha... I'm teasing. I remember back when Russell was a baby and we lived in Lancaster, CA. It snowed LESS than it did in Vegas and the whole city was in turmoil. How shall we drive? What shal we do????

At least you guys were able to benefit with a day off. Hopefully you can go to work today (friday) so Adam can get all his presents from his students!

(It would definitely take MUCH MORE snow than that to get a day off here. I think my kids have had TWO snow days in their entire life and I can guarantee there is more snow on the ground here right now than there is in Vegas!)

See you soon... DRIVE SAFE!