Friday, December 12, 2008

Horribly Underimpressed

Author: Adam Turney

We finally finished another semester of college classes and I am incredibly grateful to be rid of this past several months. I am horribly underimpressed by the performance of UNLV and the professors at the school. Melissa will easily add her two cents on her feelings of disappointment with the education department at UNLV. Let me explain a little that leads to my feelings. First of all, something crazy possessed me to decide to undertake a dual Master's program and instead of taking a meager 6 graduate credits a semester I took 12 graduate credits all at the same time. I had an online course that was horrific in every aspect, especially the unattentive professor. I took a finance class where the teacher would ramble on forever and never explain to the class how to answer any of the problems on his assignments. Then I had a practicum class where the professor did a huge disservice to the eight students in her class by failing to offer any kind of productive help, and now we are significantly further behind our colleagues in the other class. She really has no place teaching a course she knows little about. And finally, I had one class that was semi-enjoyable, but that was only because I was able to work on other classwork during the class and the teacher explained on the first day that we would all get A's. Add on top of all this the countless hours of extra work I have picked up at school for my leadership training, the larger class size of fourth grade, and my tragic loss of playing World of Warcraft and it has been a semester I am happy to be rid of.
Now I only have one more semester in my Educational Leadership program and I will be able to graduate with my first Master's degree in May. It will be a huge relief to be finished with that program and only have to worry about one program again. One of my professors said I was foolish for taking on two programs at once because then I could not devote all my attention to her class, but I felt like she was foolish because she never helped us during her class. Oh well, hopefully when I become a University professor 20 years from now I can rectify all the wrongs that I witnessed and none of my students will feel relieved to get away from me because I was one of the worst teachers they have ever had. These next few weeks will be a well deserved break from my busy life...and then I can start focusing on the next year, 2009, and our graduations.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Yes I want to attest to Adam's disatisfaction. While budgets are being cut and classes skimped on I have found that many of the professors are lacking in both qualification and care. Though my semester was not as horrible as Adams I had one teacher who up unil the Elections used her class as a political platform arguing with all the class republicans and never listening to others. Another teacher has yet to reply to me on anything, let alone post any of my graded assignments. I did have a few great teachers however at UNLV who I love. They just don't seem to care or want to help the students and I'm not even going to START on the Advising center which is the bane of my existancee

Joy Salmon said...

amen to that! You guys said it perfectly :)