Friday, December 12, 2008

Hydrophobia: Me and Old Yeller

So on Sunday morning I woke up with the flu. Not so fun. My immune system had been weakened by a cold that I'd had all week and because I have always avoided the flu shot I guess I was more susceptible. I was sick all day but it was more of a weak stomach. I was still able to go to church and to eat but I was throwing up. By Sunday evening I thought I was going to die. I crawled into bed crying and turned on the TV and what did I see but one of the classic films of my childhood: Old Yeller. When I was watching it they kept talking about the disease "hydrophobi" in their Texas drawls. I realized as my brain worked slowly that was what they called rabies because part of the disease is classified as fear, or inability to swallow water.

What does this have to do with the flu? Well I attempted a glass of water (you have to understand by attempted I mean guzzled down because I was so dehydrated) and it was the absolute worst thing to throw up. I actually ended up in the hospital on Tuesday after almost 48 hours of vomiting every 40 minutes. Luckily I was fortunate enough to be able to go and was rehydrate and given some medicine. I feel great now! I'm no worse for wears except for a couple strained back and stomach muscles from the violent vomiting (seriously, it was horrible).

So I think I have hydrophobia now as I have not had any water for fear of the consequences. I know that it was all the way on Monday and today is Friday but I still don't want to drink water. I've been sucking down the Gatorade still replacing those electrolytes! It was quite the week and I'm just grateful for how I feel now and the fact that I was able to get to the hospital and become re hydrated.

Perhaps I'll try to drink water today.

Also I'll never eat Saltine Crackers again.

2 comments:

Brian and Carly said...

Man I don't view you blog for a week and all the sudden you have a fatal illness:)

Melissa said...

Adam says, "I am not a doctor but I don't think you have hydrophobia. Perhaps we should take you to see Dr. House since he is such an amazing doctor and can solve any mysterious case."