Thursday, January 15, 2009

Unfortunately....

Author: Adam Turney
Melissa recently posted that I had gotten into an additional class this semester which would enable me to graduate a semester early. Even though the professor allowed me to join his class, even without meeting the prerequisites, the Education Leadership department denied my request for a credit overload. I contacted the head of the department and explained that I could manage the load easily enough but she still refused my petition for the additional class. This means that I will not be able to graduate with my second Master's degree until the Spring of 2010.

When I received the letter declining my request I was pretty crushed because I really had my heart set on proving myself capable of dealing with the large load of 15 graduate credits and teaching full-time...oh and helping my pregnant wife and also having a little part-time job. I was excited at the thought of graduating twice this year and being able to walk at graduation with Melissa. I enjoyed hearing how people thought I was crazy for taking so much on at once, but I just want to get it done with so I can move past the education portion of my life (I still plan to pursue a Ph.D. later in life). There were numerous reasons I wanted this class, but it was not meant to be.

"It is not meant to be," is a thought I had to contemplate throughout the day and night upon learning I would not be allowed to take the additional course. I was reminded of the plan that the Lord has for our lives and I was assured that things will all work out in the end. I understood better that we make plans for ourselves but those plans will often change. Heck, I never planned to start back to college until a couple years of teaching. However, life presented itself different and the opportunity for me to enroll in a graduate program was provided and our plans changed. Then during the end of my current Master's degree I realized I could take more classes and I began my second Master's degree with two semester still remaining in my current degree. Life has a weird way of making things exciting and challenging. This realization, combined with the purchase of an entertainment center, matching end table, and new couches, helped easy the frustration I had been experiencing.

If there is one thing I have learned during my short experiences through life, it is that things always work out for me. I may have to wait longer for some things but I have patience and will manage to get through it all. At least I am not pregnant, teaching full-time, and going to graduate school as a full-time student too...that would be too much for me. So I admire Melissa for sticking with her education and keeping that desire to finish strong. I just hope I can continue to be supportive of her throughout the remaining year of her education.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Wow...I must say although its not a walk in the park I too am glad you aren't pregnant...that may require explanation on both our parts lol. I do appreciate your support that you give me and like I always say, I'm so blessed with the best husband in the world who makes my life easier and happier and all around better. You are awesome Adam and I'm glad I married you

Melinda said...

That's an awesome perspective-we've had a lot of things that didn't turn out "as planned" but have been good for us. And excellent taste on the couches....we have that exact set! They are super easy to clean and very kid friendly! (plus all my YW used to fight over who got to sleep on the couch when we had an all night/sleep over meeting)

Bea said...

I am "glad" that someone had the sense to "deny" your request. It was an admirable goal but..........
burning the candle at both ends is bad enough ....... but when you start burning it in the middle ....lookout. My Dad told my husband that many years ago. But as I listened the other night "The Sun will come out Tomorrow ........."

Bea said...

Way to console yourselves :o) spending money is always a panacea. Nice furniture :o)