Sunday, January 31, 2010

{Take my Hand}


Tonight my heart is heavy and emotions run high. A dear friend of ours has just informed us of some tragic news.

Our friend has been having some pregnancy complications. She is about 22 weeks along with her baby boy and she got some very serious news about the condition of her baby.

After a few days of wondering what could be going on she called tonight to tell us what was going on. It seems in her last ultrasound they discovered that this little body that is other wise growing perfectly normally and healthily is only developing one half of his brain and the other half of his scull is simply filling with fluid. When discussing what this means for her baby it turns out that the quality of life will be very poor and basically he will have to live in a special bed if he does live at all.

She said all she needs right now are prayers. I have sent her a message telling her that we will pray for her and her little one, and I also told her that in our church Adam holds the priesthood which means that he can give a special blessing for the sick and other wise afflicted. Adam said he would give her a blessing if that is what she desires.

My heart reaches out from one mother to another. I don't even know what to pray for...I pray for comfort, I pray for her health, and I just pray that he will be able to fulfill his purpose on this earth to whatever capacity that might entail. I also thank God for the health of my little one. As I think about the little baby I believe as a mother you would almost want your child to be missing a limb or even hearing or sight if only to experience some aspect of this life.

I'm grateful for the knowledge I have of Jesus Christ and his atonement and that families are eternal. I'm grateful for my faith in his infinite wisdom because I cannot understand why this is happening to my friend but I know that there is a plan and that Heavenly Father is with their family.

This picture of Christ and a little boy by Greg Olsen is titled "Take My Hand" and I think that we all need to reach out and take the Savior by the hand so that we may be led through the darkness of things that we cannot understand into his perfect light and love.

3 comments:

Bea said...

That is very sad news for your friend. The title of the picture is very appropiate, it behooves us all to take it to heart.

Margie said...

I'm so sorry for your friend. I will add her to my prayers.

Lesley said...

This makes me so sad Melissa. I will pray for your friend with all of my heart.