Sunday, July 27, 2008

It was a Dark Dark Knight...

I have never silently anticipated a movie with such curious interest. Such hype and buzz surrounded the newest instalment in the Batman movies that I wanted to see it right away, but due to conflicts I wasn't able to see it for the first week. Adam and I and some friends went to see it on Friday, it was sold out. We bought tickets for Saturday, and showed up 45 minutes early to be suck in the front row of the Imax. I was really disappointed...I sulked about it for a few minutes, and then the movie began.

I have never seen such an opening sequence. The contorted, painted faces of the masked men doing the Jokers bidding were almost haunting, and having worked in a Bank, I couldn't imagine the horror of those people as they were attacked. From the first moment you see the Joker, you know fear-because he doesn't. You see evil. Many times these villains have some sorted, secret past which haunts them and gives them reason or excuse to torment and kill, to the Joker- its just a little game, just entertaining.

Batman himself was pretty good...but you find yourself drawn to the performance of Heath Ledger. The makeup which runs like blood as he licks his lips has to be the scariest part. I have never left a movie with such a dry mouth and tired body. I couldn't watch it alone because you get too sucked in to the mind of this psycho monster, you believe everything he says. If he tells the public, do this or I'll do this...he is good to his word. If he tells his men I'll do this if you do this, he is good to his word, there is no trickery, only brutal, evil honesty and trust.

The story was fabulous, the writing was fantastic. I felt that I truly experienced something dark and evil, which was fascinating to witness. When I got home, I had to watch a clip from 10 Things I Hate about You in which Ledger is a lovesick puppy dog, sweet and innocent.


Go see the movie, Its a fun experience!

5 comments:

Bea said...

Thanx for the critique Melis, can you see your Granma at this movie........ If so you have a very vivid imagination. Which I do. This sort of stuff would give me nightmares and daymares for the rest of my life. But, glad you enjoyed it. :o)

Melissa said...

You must be a little sick and twisted yourself;) I will admit he did a great job playing that evil character but I left feeling depressed!!!

Joy Salmon said...

I thought the movie was truly a different experience- leaving me feeling so dark and almost scared of what our world is coming to... But, LaVon said it perfectly when he said that Americans are truly the best film-makers because they can make movies that make you, as the watcher, want to do something- good or bad.

Lilian said...

I hope that by the time I actually see this movie, it will be as great as everyone is saying. I have no plans to watch it in a theater. I can wait for the DVD and the comfort of my own couch, while hiding under a blanket!

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Sold out even in Fandango, but we'll keep trying.

Melissa, I left something for you in my blog so check it out when you get the chance.