Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Bright Spot in a Bad Day

At Women's Conference I learned something new about a Hymn that I hadn't before. I think I posted about it...but I'll do it one more time.

"This hymn was written by William W. Phelps in 1833 shortly after a mob came into Independence, Missouri, and threw Brother Phelps' wife and baby out into the street, destroyed the press which was housed on the upper floor of the home, and burned all the books and papers inside. Later, over two hundred homes were given much the same treatment. This brutal incident was the inspiration for this powerfully comforting song, which was also sung at the dedication of the Kirtland temple. I'm so amazed at Brother Phelps' ability to look past the horrendous treatment he and his family had suffered and to concentrate on the blessings that would arise from the trial."

None of us can comprehend what the pioneers went through...but we all have days where disappointment and discouragement chase us. If we look to the example of the pioneers, imagining them singing this beautiful song to the Lord with faith, than our perspective changes and we too can rejoice and have gratitude in our hearts come what may. I'm grateful for their faithful examples to help push me through trying times.



No comments: