Saturday, May 16, 2009

Now That I Have Graduated

Author: Adam Turney
Saturday, May 9, I graduated with my Master's degree in Educational Leadership. I had not planned to go back to school for a graduate degree until I had been teaching for about two years. However, the cards we were dealt were a little different and I started back during my first year of teaching. The next five semesters I would spend attending UNLV alongside Melissa. I do not know how we did it, but we managed to afford paying both our tuition and stay out of debt. Both of us were incredibly busy juggling school and work, but we made it through.

While I was in graduate school I looked for every opportunity to procrastinate all my school responsibilities and my assignments. My final semester I waited until the last week to finish up 14 assignments from three classes. The end of each semester was incredibly stressful due to my procrastination, but I made it with an A grade in each class. Now that I have graduated I find myself wandering around the house with nothing to do. I am so used to putting off all my work until the day before it is due, but now there is nothing to turn in. I feel a little lost.

So what do I do now that I don't have school assignments? The other night Melissa walked into our computer office room and saw me preparing my substitute lesson plans because I will be missing class on Monday. She was shocked because normally I am rushing my plans out the morning that I call in to be absent. This was the first time I have ever had my sub plans ready before the day I was to be absent...and I actually had them ready 4 days prior. It is odd, now that I don't have anything to try and procrastinate for I am completing my school responsibilities. Without that stress of assignments weighing me down I am now free to focus on other enjoyable things. Heck, I am almost done with report cards and those aren't due for another 2 weeks. I just wonder what I will do with my summer if I can't get a part time job. I sort of can't wait to get back to school in January and finish my second Master's degree. But for now I will focus on helping Melissa get through her program and her pregnancy...oh, and packing for the new house.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

When fall rolled around the first year after I graduated, I had recurring dreams that I had forgotten to do homework assignments, didn't study for tests, totally missed class (and not even to skip for a fun reason, just plain forgot to go). At least once you get into your house you'll have some yard work to do, and all the baby stuff. My mom teaches and she used to look for part time stuff in the summer, but it was kinda annoying, so she started volunteering at the Portland Temple's Distribution Center they have on grounds. Maybe that's an idea if you live close enough to the temple, just to keep busy.