Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Home is where the Heart is

"We are so poor," I half heartily joked in Adam's direction as I watched our savings and checking accounts drain into the last two semesters of school, a down payment, and various other expenses this afternoon.

"Yeah," Adam replied casually, "But we have everything we need." That's what I love about Adam. No matter what he wants, he is always satisfied and lives like a King on his wealth of happiness and easy going nature.

"That's right," I replied, adding: "We are the proud owners of your Nintendo Wii, Play Station, Plasma T.V..."

Adam cut me off as he body slammed me from behind, wrapping his arms around me (minding the bump). "No silly, we have each other and that's all we need."

Our conversation, which occurred in the confines of his classroom this very afternoon, evaded my memory until this moment when I emotionally began to pack up our house, our home for the last two and a half years, our first true spot on this earth together.

Although I may complain about our current living situation (frequently)...and often I felt as if we were living a life that was not truly ours inside these walls, we have been truly blessed to live here on El Camino rd.

When we were first married we lived with Susan Gravell. It was amazing we were able to find a place to live with only about a months notice and for less than 600 dollars in Las Vegas, but I admit it was a struggle for two newlyweds to share a home with a stranger and her dogs. We only lived there for one semester and knew that we were going to have to get out after Christmas, as another couple was moving in with Susan from BYU-Idaho. Our friends Scott and Kelly suggested we move into the main house off their guest house which would be vacant shortly.

Moving in to a large three bedroom two bathroom home was pretty crazy for us. We soon acquired our little friend Rocky the Turtle (not to be confused with Timothy Turtle) and thousands of happy memories.

Our landlords have been wonderful to us. They have been there ready to fix everything that needed fixing in the old house, they have looked out for us and been generous with us. At first, we weren't sure we could afford the rent, but soon learned we were getting a great deal.

This is the home where we became The Turney's. We'd been Adam and Melissa for a long time, and now it was time to fuse together and become a family. We had been married four short months when we moved in, just the two of us, and will leave having been married almost three years 2 and 3/4ths of us.

I am a very sentimental person. I get that from my dad who gets it from my grandpa. I guess things like this make me overly emotional. I can't even imagine how it will feel for my aunt, who is just as sentimental to move out of the house she's been living in for over 30 years (?) as she is planing on.

I must admit I am pathetic. After all...I only packed four boxes (that was the amount Adam left, we have about 20 more in the car lol) and began to be weepy. People may think its little baby inside me, and my hormones are going crazy...that may be true, but I am a sentimental person (just ask my husband) and moving is a huge change, especially when I'll be 8 months pregnant at the final move.

Anyway, back to my original thought...no matter how many memories I've gathered here with friends, family, and most of all Adam...they are only memories, and I have them forever. I also have Adam forever, which is comforting above all else. Adam is my home, he is my heart...and if he was the only thing I could bring with me to our new home, or to our eternal home, I would be grateful and blessed.

So I need to take a page from Adam's book and realize that we have everything we need.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

ha ha ha....

Stephanie said...

Thanks Melissa! I was glad to see you too. I knew he probably wasn't going to do all the well but I knew that you wanted to see both of us so I tried what more can I say I guess. I appriciate you telling me that you think I am a good mom, it makes me feel a little better. I just wish we live closer so that I can see your little one! I hope you like the lamp and the frame :)