Thursday, May 21, 2009

Hmm...

So I got a call from my Dr.'s Office yesterday informing me that the results of my glucose test were abnormally high, and I must be tested again for gestational diabetes...

The facts are these:

My mom was tested high with Megan, but it turns out that she had just eaten Carmel Popcorn for breakfast before her test, which goofed the results.

The morning I went I drank Tropicana O.J. (straight sugar) and quite possibly a couple otterpops (I might eat three or four before breakfast on occasion)

That is the good news.

The bad news is that my levels, PLUS the fact that the ultrasound indicated that the baby's tummy was in the 87th percentile gives me a higher chance that it wasn't just the Tropicana.

What does this mean for me: they will put me on a strict diet and or insulin shots.
What does this mean for baby: Possible high birth weight (9-12 pounds), crashing and trip to the ICU after birth, and some other not so good things.

So pray for me! I'm taking another test today, more blood withdrawn, more glucose drink stuff, fasting for 12 hours for accurate results...Hopefully its nothing and she'll be ok but pray!

6 comments:

Margie said...

I am praying!!

Bea said...

Granma and Granpa are praying!!!

Lilian said...

we are praying too!

Lesley said...

We're praying!

Stephanie said...

Pray pray pray...

Georgia said...

Melissa,

My third pregnancy (Bryan) was plagued by gestational diabetes. I took two of those fasting-yucky-drinking tests. I did have a bruiser of a boy (9 pounds) and an emergency C-section because of his size, but things went well in the end and I had a very healthy baby and my blood sugar went right back to normal after the pregnancy.

You are always in our thoughts and prayers, but we'll amp it up.

Love you!