Saturday, May 3, 2008

It's been Three Years!

In May 2005, one accidental phone call changed our life forever. Every couple believes that they have the best story (as they should) but I must respectfully disagree :) because nothing can beat the pure fate our story clearly exudes.
Summer semester was just beginning at BYU-I. I was able to go to my first few days of classes, but had to skip out on Thursday...as my cousin Jeremy was marrying his beautiful wife Emily on 05-05-05 which fell on the day of my Biology Lab. I asked my old roommate Catherine Queen to save me a spot in her lab so that I wouldn't have to be alone. It was a beautiful wedding, a fun weekend with my parents, and then I was back to school.



Tuesday morning I went to my Lab class and sure enough, there was no room in the inn. Cathrine had failed to save me a seat and I was forced into an all boy lab with Ben Decker and Adam Turney. Perhaps due to my flirtatious nature, it took us the entire lab to get anything done. We went out to Wendy's after and the three of us kinda hit it off as friends. We decided to meet Thursday to discuss our group lab project. Thursday came and went and was unproductive. We all ended up laughing too much and coming up with nothing. My phone rang and I looked at the unfamiliar number and answered. It was Adam sitting across the room thinking he was so sneaky and funny (roll eyes here).

The following Saturday I received a call from this same number which was now programed as Adam. Confused I picked up the phone.

Melissa: Hello?

Adam: Hey, this is Adam

Melissa: Hi Adam, whats up?

Adam: Oh a bunch of my friends are going to have a bonfire and I was wondering if you wanted to come with me.

Melissa: (not wanting to go, having just gotten out of the shower and having a missionary in New York thinks quickly for an excuse) Umm hold on, I have to ask my roommates because I think they were planning on doing something.
Adam: Ok
Melissa: (Holds the phone down, thinks a minute...why not) Sure when will you be here?

Adam: about 7:00

So I hung up the phone and scrambled to get ready. I had just gotten out of the shower and was planning on a relaxing evening at home. 7:00 came and went and soon it was 7:30, I was beginning to get annoyed, I didn't know what to think... the phone rang...

Melissa: Hi

Adam: Hi...this is Adam Turney

Melissa: yeah...

Adam: Who is THIS?

Melissa: Melissa.......Marsden......your lab partn-

Adam: OOOOHHhhhhhh oh ok. Ok. I'll be right there.

At this point, Adam leaves the apartment of the girl he THOUGHT he called and comes over to my apartment. Embarrassed, we didn't even address the 800 pound Gorilla in the room and just went on our date.

Were it not for the slip of a finger, one accidental phone call would never have happened and we would not be together....I can't believe it has been four years!

4 comments:

Lilian said...

Soooo.... has it been three years or four?? HA HA HA! I've always loved your story! I still wonder about the girl he thought he called? Was she there when he went to get her? Was she thinking.... "this guy is INSANE!"

Melissa said...

The girl he called, Katie, actually got married the SAME DAY we did in California!! isn't that funny! She did think he was a big dork and laughed as he walked out the door to pick me up!

Margie said...

I can't believe it has been three years!! I'm so proud of you two and everything you are doing. We are sooo excited to see you two in a couple of weeks. I love you!!

Lesley said...

Melissa I just tagged you. Check my blog for the instructions.