Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Somedays...

There are some days when I feel discouraged about money, or the lack thereof. Don't get me wrong, we do fine. All our needs are met and many many wants are met as well while still living within our means...sometimes however I wish I could buy lots of nice things for Hannah, or take big extravagant trips, or go out to dinner whenever we wanted.

Then there are moments that make me realize, that while big expensive birthday parties are fun, beautiful dresses (for me and Hannah) would be nice, a second car would be more than wonderful...I realize that I am able to spend every moment with my beautiful child because of my decision not to work.

I could never buy back the small and simple joys of the ins and outs of every day with her. I could never buy back the kisses I'd miss or the tears someone else would wipe away. I know that someday I'll be able to go back to work and have a long, enjoyable career as a teacher, but this season is for me to be with my children. We don't have much but we have time, which is invaluable to all of us. We have each other which is priceless and eternal, and these memories are as precious as gold. Someday, this precious, simple time will be over. I will still be needed as a mother but she (as well as her sister, and anyone else who may follow into our family) will be independent. So for now I will try not to miss the things I have not, so that I won't miss the things I have.

3 comments:

Bea said...

You are the best. and don't forget that I said so. :o)

Sheena said...

Love this. Sometimes I need to be reminded of the blessing that this time with my little one is. (I think we all tend to forget sometimes).

Georgia said...

You always amaze me with your maturity and understanding, Melissa. For one so young, you have incredible foresight. You can't put a value on that.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your assurances that you know you are doing the right thing. That really is beyond price. I'm so proud of you that you recognize what a short time you have with these little ones and how to relish every minute of these precious days.