Saturday, November 13, 2010

Book Review: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

After three weeks I've finally finished HP and the Goblet of Fire. This, and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix are the two hardest books for me to get through, and not just because they are 1,600 hundred pages put together.

In these two books, Rowling truly reviles her genius as an author. Here is a woman who has never written a book before, and in her debut novel comes up with Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone, then continues with six more novels that could be studied in a masters program with an emphasis on plot, character development, pacing...I could go on forever. Goblet of Fire is where Harry's world is turned upside down and is forced to face the inevitable, Lord Voldemort has risen again, right before Harry's eyes. The pure emotion in the graveyard scene as Harry witnesses Cedric murdered in the same way as his parents, he sees his parents, faced with nearly the impossible, then has to face the aftermath. I couldn't help but feel the dread right along with Harry, even as it was my 3rd time reading Goblet of Fire.

I wish there was more Nevil in this book. I keep wanting to know back stories of the Death Eaters. Rowling has stated that she hasn't ruled out writing another Harry Potter book and I very much hope that if she does she will write a prequel so we can find out more about the rise of Lord Voldemort and the First Wizarding War.

I'm a nerd for Harry.

No comments: