Thursday, October 28, 2010

More than Words



Something that has been such a joy having a toddler vs a baby is the way we communicate, and how each day our communication increases. Yesterday the Dr. asked us how many words she was saying and I told him about 30. It made me think of how many words are in her limited vocabulary and to write them down. Here is the list I came up with:

Mama
Dadda
Car
Jesus
God
Dog
Bird
Plane
Pepper (her little friend, not her favorite spice)
Head
Hair
Nose
Toes
Ball
Moon
Park
Duck
Poo (Yeah, she tells me when she just did it)
Night
Hi
Yes
Fish
No (more on this later :/)
Bye
Meg
School (s-caul)
Grandpa (Gr-pa)
Ghost (Ghos)
Pumpkin (Pup)
Boo (you can tell she's gained a lot of this vocabulary in the month of October)
Whee (although technically not a word it sure is cute when she says it going down the slide

More than the things she says, or copies us on, I love watching her UNDERSTAND the language. When I say "Say bye bye" she says bye, waves, and blows a kiss. When I say "time for prayer" she immediately folds her hands and gets ready. Today she even dropped her muffin when I said it so she could be ready. She folds her hand through the whole prayer.

No has been a problem. She started saying no to me just this week. It has been exasperating, and a little funny at the same time. I asked her the other day "Isn't this dinner good?" "No." Or when I say "Time for bed," "Time for nap," "Don't do that Hannah." I hear in reply "No, No, No," in return. Today she was being disobedient and I said "Hannah that's not funny," and with a grin she replied "yes."

Life is becoming easier for her as she is able to communicate better. It is a joy to watch (I tear up every time she folds her arms for prayer and I honestly am amazed because I don't really know how she learned it except for one family night lesson when we really focused it and trying to set an example for her). She is such a sweet girl and I love her so much. It is a joy watching her get older and comprehend. I can't wait to see whats in store for her!

1 comment:

Bea said...

she certainly looks fine after her surgery :o)
As always, the best is yet to come :o)