Saturday, March 6, 2010

Movie Review: The Kite Runner


I had mentioned a desire to read this book about a month ago to Adam. Being the wonderful husband that he is, he decided to netflix the movie so I could save myself a book (roll eyes).

This movie was one of the most beautiful I've seen in a long time. It was a very similar feeling to Life is Beautiful. Very heavy, very lovely.

It is a story of Amir who is living in Kabul. His best friend is Hassan, the son of his father's servant. Hassan is basically the worlds greatest friend and will do anything, sacrifice anything for Amir. He takes beatings for him, defends him, loves him. One day when Hassan needs him the most, Amir betrays his friend and is left feeling depressed and guilty.

To force Hassan to leave, Amir frames him by planting a watch and some money under Hassan's mattress; Hassan falsely confesses. Amirs father forgives him, despite the fact that, as he explained earlier, he believes that "there is no act more wretched than stealing." Hassan and his father Ali, to Amir's father's extreme sorrow, leave anyway. Hassan's departure frees Amir of the daily reminder of his cowardice and betrayal, but he still lives in their shadow and his guilt.

Before making it up to him, the Soviets force Amir and his father to leave Afghanistan and they flee to America. In Afghanistan they were living a life of luxury and wealth, in America his father runs a gas station and Amir is now graduating from the local community college and working on becoming a writer.

Flash forward to 2000, Amir has now published his first book and gets a call from a friend of his father telling him he needs to return to Afghanistan.

From there Amir goes on a harrowing journey of redemption. I won't spoil anything but I will say that if you liked Life is Beautiful you will like The Kite Runner.

Oh on a side note, the title comes from a game the children play in Afghanistan where they fly kites and attempt to cut the other kites down. There are a few beautiful scenes with kite flying.

This movie made me bawl uncontrollably. You have been warned.

1 comment:

Georgia said...

I have not seen the movie, but I did read the book. Redemption is truly the ultimate message of the story. I copied down my favorite passage in the book from page 313: "Then I realized something: That last thought had brought no sting with it. I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded, not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night."

It was a book that has stayed with me for more than four years and I would recommend a read even though you've seen the movie. It sounds as if you recommend the movie...I'll have to give it try. (I LOVED Life is Beautiful)