Saturday, April 27, 2013

Adam's Kidney Stones

Yesterday evening I left the house at 5:15 to pick up a friend for the Stake Relief Society Social. I was very excited (who doesn't love a fantastic dinner provided by the priesthood) and looking forward to my evening. I left my family happy and eating dinner. My girls always love an evening with their daddy.

At 5:38 I got a text message from Adam. All it said was "You need to come home immediately." My first thought was my daughters. I panicked. You have to know Adam NEVER asks me to come home. He is a very capable dad, and so I knew it wasn't just him being overwhelmed. I knew there was an emergency. Not two minutes before, the relief society president had just said "We want you to know that we are praying for your loved ones, your children, your husbands, your babysitters, that all will be well at home so you won't have to worry while you are away." This statement brought lots of comfort as I was racing home.

I ran out of the room and called Adam. He was incoherent. I could hear him practically crying on the other end of the phone but I didn't know what was going on. I ran to the parking lot and started speeding home. I said a quick prayer for peace so that I could drive safely and immediately I got the impression "It's alright, it's just kidney stones." It was a tender mercy that brought instant peace, because I knew that my daughters were alright and that Adam would be alright too, even though he was in a lot of pain.

As soon as I walked in the door I went to Adam and asked "Do you think it's kidney stones?" He said he had no idea and I packed up the girls in the car to go to the hospital. Meanwhile most all of my friends are at the relief society social. One of them was having her birthday celebration so I didn't even call her. I called about 6 people, nobody answered. So I just put on Facebook that we were going to the hospital and I needed someone to respond if they could, and get my daughters. I was overwhelmed by the response I got. Suddenly my phone lit up like crazy and people were offering to help. We ended up getting Adam all checked in and a friend from his old school came to get the girls and took them to another friends house. We even had yet another friend stop by the hospital to see if she could pick up the girls since she was super close and hadn't heard back from me. We are so blessed.

Meanwhile, Adam is in an extreme amount of pain. He is shaking uncontrollably, whimpering, and cannot be comforted. I felt so helpless as to know what to do. I wanted to hurry the process and get him some pain medication ASAP, but it took about an hour and a half at the hospital to finally give him some relief. I've never been in the presence of so much physical pain. He said the pain was unbearable. A '10' on the pain scale. I believe it too. When he finally got the medicine he was instantly relieved. His body was exhausted from shaking and tensing up so much. We were both finally able to relax.

Scott came over to our house at 8:30 to put our kids to bed. Our house was all locked up, so I met him here, told the girls that everything was okay and that I just needed to go get Daddy. Hannah was very brave after watching her father writhing in pain. At one point Adam said "I think I'm going to die." Of course Hannah responded "Please don't die!" She also told him, "When you get resurrected, you won't hurt anymore." Pretty much her solution to everything. Hannah was really apprehensive to leave Adam when Eydie came to the hospital to take the kids to the Packards. Hannah insisted her Daddy needed her. She was very good and obedient. Poor Paige didn't even have pants on when I put her in the car to take her to the hospital.

All's well that ends well. Right now, Adam is sleeping on the floor. He is extremely exhausted (the medicine is making him drowsy, plus his body went through a lot last night. Hopefully the stone will pass soon and we can get this whole thing behind us. We were very blessed last night.

1) I had my phone on silent in my purse. I took it out and put it on the table "just in case" a minute before he texted me.

2) I was able to be calm and peaceful, knowing hours before they told us that it was kidney stones.

3) Our friends jumped into action and were so helpful and willing to take care of our daughters.

4) We have awesome insurance, we had money to pay for the copay, we didn't have to pay for any medicine.

5) We were able to find a 24 hour CVS (the only pharmacy we can go to under our insurance) so that Adam didn't have to experience more pain.

6) Our girls weren't afraid or stressed the whole time.

7) Adam's pain subsided and never returned.

8) We were very close to a good hospital.

No comments: