Friday, February 11, 2011

Pie in a Jar




I've never made a pie/been a baker. I love baked goods but I've never really attempted, I mean I just learned how to make a good chocolate chip cookie last year--the most basic of all bakingdome.

I saw this recipe on www.ourbestbites.com and my love for all things cute and cuddly I had to try it. It has been on my brain forever. I used this recipe for the apple filling with a little doctoring from one of the comments left on the blog...specifically this one: This is a wonderful recipe. I added 1-2 TBLS lemon jiuce, 2 TBLS flour, 1/2 teas vanilla 1/4 teas nutmeg and used brown sugar instead of white. Then mixed the seasonings with the apples before putting it in the crust. I won first prize at a local Farmer's Market apple pie contest so thanks! I cooked it longer- more like 55 minutes so next time will do the 10 minutes at 450, then 40 minutes at 375 I think will work great. It might be my stove so just wait until it is bubbling.

I admit I haven't actually eaten the pie yet (I'm making a special Valentine's day dinner tomorrow night for Adam and I so I'm saving the pie a la mode for dessert) but it looks great and I hope it tastes as good as it looked!

3 comments:

Lesley said...

Those pies look wonderful!! I want to try making them. Thanks for sharing :-)

PS where did you get the little jars... Amazon?

Melissa said...

Yes, I tried looking for the jars and couldn't find them but I followed the Amazon link on our best bites. The best part about these is you can freeze them and save them for those moments when you crave dessert and don't have anything ready. I made 8 pies today. 4 apple, 2 blueberry, and 2 blueberry/raspberry

Lesley said...

So the little jars can actually be placed in the oven? They won't shatter? I guess that's a silly question. People do canning in them at extreme heat temps. I'm impressed Melissa... the pies look fabulous!