Sunday, December 13, 2009

Oh Christmas Time!


This is Hannah's first Christmas and I'm a lot more excited than I thought I would be! All of the presents are wrapped and placed carefully under the tree. Hannah has been an exceptionally good child this year so she is sure to be visited by Santa Claus. It is the beginning of new memories, new traditions, and a renewed energy of celebration!

Although this Christmas is a rebirth there are bound to be some old traditions that are eternally linked to Christmas. I am excited to bring Hannah to Lesley's Christmas party to have her meet more of her family and of course Santa! Another tradition I will carry out is seen in the picture above.

My dad read 'A Christmas Carol' each year to me from 1993-2003. I believe we MAY have done it in 2004 as well. It has become a sacred tradition that I am anxious to share with my first born. I have never read it aloud until now. From 2003(or 04) I have continued to read it on my own silently to myself--the voices I hear in my head belong to my daddy. Tonight I started reading it out loud to Banana. I was surprised how easily the old English language rolled off my tongue as naturally as it did. I was surprised how good it felt to be the parent with my baby in my arms telling her the magnificent story that people rarely come to know in all it's glory. I don't know if there is anyone in the world who loves that story better than my dad and me.

Some of my memories of the book include--several years of my dad explaining certain words and phrases that didn't quite make sense, my dad breaking down while reading Bob Cratchet talk about his young son who just passed away, having teenage angst and not wanting to share my dad with the rest of the family when my mom suggested we make it a family tradition and refusing to participate but secretly listening at the bottom of the stairs while my dad read out loud in the next room, watching the blind mans dog lead him away from Scrooge and making the movie to text connection...It has been a wonderful tradition and I'm grateful to carry it on.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry you married a fun version of Mr. Scrooge. I am excited for the holiday too.

Margie said...

How tender!!

Lilian said...

Very cool that you want to carry on the tradition Melissa. You've inspired me to want to read it.

Margie said...

Daddy said...

I first read A Christmas Carol when I was about 10 or 11 years old. I remember not understanding all of it but since it was my favorite Christmas movie I was determined to like the book as well. It wasn't until Melissa was about 3 years old that I found a really cool used copy at Sam Weller's book store when I worked downtown.

I read the book and fell in love instantly. I have read it every Christmas since then (20+ years) and it never fails to move me to tears in several spots. I am sure Dickens was absolutely inspired of Heaven. To me the book is like scripture and when I read it each year I resolve again to be a better person.

When Meissa reads it she hears my voice. When I read it is as if she is "standing in the spirit at (my) elbow." This book will forever be my favorite. Thanks for the memories Wiss.

I love you, Dad xoxo

Lesley said...

I recently saw Disney's new movie and loved it. I decided that I need to read the book for the very first time.

Bea said...

See, Melissa..... you have done your first teaching as a graduate. you have made "A Christmas Carol" sound interesting and now others want to read it also. Good job!!!!