Monday, August 17, 2009

Last Semester...

I'm excited for school to start...I'm excited for school to start...I'm excited for school to start...

If I keep telling myself that, maybe it will be true :)

Tomorrow I have orientation (more like borientation) and I will find out where I will be for student teaching. I am also required to go to back to school night (I usually go with Adam but no this year) to get to know my cooperating teacher (or CT) so I will be doing that on Thursday.

Student teaching will be interesting. Unlike regular school where I've been going to UNLV 2-3 times a week from about 9-4 with some breaks in between, I'll be at an Elementary School from 8:10-3:21 (the time I will be obligated to stay there) and I will have a class each Thursday which may or may not meet at UNLV (it may just be at our individual schools). That class will last until about 7 so I'll be at school on those days ALLL day long.

I believe how it works is one week of observation, perhaps two...then the second or third week I'll be taking over one subject from my CT for that week. Each week after that I will take on one subject which means writing lesson plans for each subject including an objective, engagment activity, development activity, and assessment. After about a month I will have taken over the whole day and will be writing lesson plans for the whole day, Monday-Friday. Basically I will be a full time teacher (in training). I will do this until friday, December 4th and then on December 15th I will GRADUATE!

Adam will be home with Hannah until October 5th. Adam has 6 weeks of paternity leave from the day she is born so technically he is on it now :) By the time school starts he will have three weeks left on paternity leave and then his class tracks off for three weeks (perfect!) so he'll continue to stay home. Sometime in September Addison (Adam's brother) will move in with us and become our full time Manny :) What a great Uncle to be willing to come and take care of his little neice!

Although I'm not looking forward to leaving my little one I'm grateful for the opportunity I have to finally graduate. Lots of people didn't think I'd go back to school after I got married and moved to Vegas. More wondered if I would finish when I got pregnant. I went through at least part of three semesters pregnant and I'll finish off school as a mommy. I do admit I'm proud of myself and I'm grateful for the support I've been given. I know that Hannah was supposed to come into our family on July 27th 2009. I was worried myself that it would be difficult and that it couldn't be done but I knew somehow it would work and here Adam will be able to care for her until October and Uncle Addison will take over for seven weeks. Life is good!

5 comments:

Margie said...

I am proud of you Melissa and I have always believed in you!!! Graduating from college is a HUGE accomplishment!! It is an accomplishment you will never regret and always be glad you completed. It is hard work!! You are almost there!!

Bea said...

Thanx for outlining you upcoming semester, sounds exciting except for leaving your wee one everyday, but you will come thru, we always do. And what an accomplishment. Graduating. A college grad. You will always have the satisfaction of completing your goal. And Hannah will probably sleep all day.:o)

Margie said...

Dad says: I am very thankful to Adam for supporting you so that you could finish. He has kept his promise. I am so proud of you, this is a gigantic accomplishment and I am impressed with your determination and diligence. Somewhere there is a picture of me studying during my final stretch of school and you are in your little carrier by my side. I love you!!!!

Lesley said...

You will be surprised at how fast the next few months will go. Having your education is so important and you will never regret it. Way to go Melissa!!

Stephanie said...

You go girl! You are doing exactly what is best for your family at this time and you are going to do wonderful! Heavenly Father sure is blessing you guys I can tell. You are so close!!!!