Saturday, March 1, 2008

"Ring Bell for Assistance"


Tonight Adam and I had the experience of serving in the Temple in a different way than we have before. At about 4:30 we got a call saying they needed help with servers in the Cafeteria and so we hurried to get dressed and run down there. I admit that it wasn't the first thing I wanted to do with my Saturday...but we weren't doing anything else and who can say no when you are needed in the temple?


We checked in for duty about 5:30. I've worked fast food before, and it was nothing like this... the 18 year old kitchen looked brand new, the halls were sacred and holy and there was such a sense of service rather than just a duty or job. I love our temple, it has served as a source of comfort many times in the last year and a half. It is an oasis in our desert. It was a blessing and honor to be able to serve those who have served us.

While I was cleaning up, I noticed in a few places, there were little doorbell like knobs with the inscription "ring bell for assistance." When someone would buzz, the worker would immediately
rush up to help. Something clicked inside my head...it IS that simple. In our lives weekly, monthly, daily...we come to need assistance, no matter what it is, no matter how big or small our need...all we have to do is ask and wait for an answer. It doesn't feel simple at times. It is very difficult, especially for people so short on patience like I am.


There are a few blessings I hope to gain over the next few years. I just need to be more prayerful and faithful.

1 comment:

Lilian said...

I guess since you couldn't be with us in the Salt Lake temple this day it was great that you could be in the Las Vegas Temple! The sunshine and blue skies were definitely a contrast to the dark gray clouds that hung over us. However, the spirit INSIDE the temple was just the same!!