Monday, February 18, 2008

Once upon a time...

Inspired by Regan and Bree, I've decided to finally write down my engagement story since I don't believe I ever have before, which is unfortunate, especially because we were forced into a semi secret engagement for about 12 hours...I got proposed to twice...

On January 3rd 2006 I woke up with a sneeking suspicion that today would be the day. I was just a few weeks away from being shipped off to Russia and I knew that my boyfriend wouldn't be happy unless he marked his territory with a tiny single finger cuff on my left hand. My mom was unusually cheezy around us and I'd figured Adam had told her it would be the day. It was my cousin Becky's wedding so the house was pretty busy getting ready to travel to Salt Lake. Adam and I were ready to drive to Salt Lake so we took off. Adam started to complain about being hungry and suggested his favorite spot, Red Robin. Months earlier, he told me he'd take me there as a signal when he was about to propose.

We had a yummy lunch, but I was feeling so nervous. I don't remember one second of lunch. We got on the road again and without warning, Adam took the Bountiful exsit. (Becky was getting married in Salt Lake). We drove in silence up the steep hill towards the Bountiful Temple. Somehow we got there, somehow we parked, and by some miracle we found ourselves sitting on the edge of the fountain. Adam had tucked away in his suit a photo album which he retrieved once we were settled. He opened it up to the title page, which said " A love story, by Adam and Melissa Turney." He then proceeded through each page which was filled with eight months of beautiful memories, he narrated each one detailing why were were born to love each other. As the pages became fewer, my heart pounded faster. The last page he spoke of how Adam got to his knees (as he explained he dropped down to his knee) and asked Melissa to marry him (which he did). I of course couldn't contain myself and bursed into tears as he slipped the perfect ring on my finger. I was seeing it for the first time so I was ignoring my recently aquired fiance for a moment. It was a white gold band with diamonds all around.
After a private celebration and passionate kissing on temple grounds we hurried off to Salt Lake for Becky's wedding. Because I didn't want to take away from her special day, the engagment remained under wraps...sort of. There was a glow emminating off my skin and I couldn't stop smiling or kissing my fiance. I of course whispered it to my parents who gladly hugged us both in silent celebration. I figured it wouldn't hurt to whisper it to one of my aunts, so I did and if felt really good as we silently celebrated. Pretty soon I had silently celebrated around the whole family (Becky and parents had no idea until later). At their wedding dinner, Becks introduced us as Melissa and her soon to be fiance Adam which was recieved by fitful giggles at our families table. It was a perfect day, a perfect man. It ended with pie at Marie Calendars with both sets of parents and a vison of happily ever after.

Then I went to Russia. I loved my experiance but it cut me to be away from him for five months, not able to see him or touch him or visit him or even talk to him much. My consolation came from his daily e-mails and counting down the days.


Fly ahead nearly seven months later in late July. I am mear weeks away from my big day when Adam and I are casually strolling around Target. He keeps handing me random things, which was not suprising, Adam can be strange. This time there was a method to his madness when he handed me a stack of crap and underneith was a little black box. These make me excited. He got down on the floor at target and proposed in some big cheesey way so people could feel bad for the poor girl getting engaged at Target and slipped on a big beautiful princess cut ring. Then I went to work.


Ultimatly the best part of the story is that we are living our happily ever after (although life can be less glamourous as you'd expect at times). I am married to my best friend for eternity.

1 comment:

Reagan said...

That is adorable! Awe! I love the secrecy!