Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Week in the Life {5/6-5/12}

So 'No Screen Week' was great, but it was a little different than what I had in mind. By Thursday, I was back on line and by Friday I was letting my kids watch movies again. Why? Well I was pretty tired, I admit, although Hannah and Paige proved to me that THEY could do just fine without the screen. I think I'll attempt it again in a few weeks, and maybe even incorporate a screen free day or two on the weekends or something.

The house was quieter than normal, the girls played so sweetly together. It was just nice.

Adam went to Astro Camp on Friday morning at 5AM so It's been a long, but beautiful weekend without him. I miss him a lot, but I took it as an opportunity to just enjoy my girls.

Friday we went to Pump it Up in the morning with the Packards. I was pretty exhausted, since I was up with Adam and 4AM, but we still managed to have a lot of fun. Hannah and Paige both missed their Daddy and mentioned it a couple times. Paige hadn't seen him leave so she was a little confused as to where he was and was super cranky, calling for Daddy and when I'd tell her he was gone on a trip she'd look at me hopefully and ask "Just teasing?" We came home and all took naps. When we all woke up I finally turned on the TV, still tired and a little cranky.

At about 4:00 I'd had about enough of sitting around, so I packed up the girls to go to Town Square, which I'd promised Hannah I'd take her to. We shopped a little bit, and played at the park for a while. The girls got free balloons from Old Navy which have yet to disappear, and two tiaras, because hey, it was a girls weekend and their daddy wasn't around to give me a wary look of disbelief.

After that, the girls and I went out to eat. We got a milkshake, which we never do, and I basically played referee as the girls flanked me on either side, desperately sucking the strawberry milkshake out of my hands.

We came home and watched Enchanted together, then I tucked them in and watched the movie The Impossible. I cried through the entire movie, picturing what a terrifying experience it would have been. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for an uplifting story of a beautiful family.

Saturday we were invited to a BBQ swim party with the Simmons family at their in laws house. It was so much fun. At first, Paige was extremely intimidated  of the water, and clung to me for dear life but by the end she was jumping off the edge of the hot tub into my waiting arms. Hannah on the other hand was too adventurous and kept finding opportunities to get in the pool. She has no fear, which scares me. She tried to swim to me and immediately sank to the bottom, I could see her little body fighting to swim to the surface but she just sank. I pulled her up and she coughed and sputtered and with NO FEAR said "Whoa, I guess I need a few more swimming lessons..." yeah, ya think? We had yummy hamburgers and a great time, then we came home in the early evening and both girls collapsed and slept.

It's been a special Mother's Day for me so far. The girls are napping, and I've enjoyed reading the many tributes on Facebook for mothers. It is indeed a great privilege for me to be a mother and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I haven't been able to open the gifts or "project" that the girls did for me, (I got a beautiful flower pot, painted by Hannah earlier this week that she made in preschool and I love it) since Adam is away, but I look forward to that. Adam had the girls do a project and sent me away so they could work on it, which meant I got an hour to myself, to read in the park with a snow cone which was the best gift ever!

I read a few books this week: Sparkly Green Earrings: Catching the Light at Every Turn, The Selection, and The Elite, along with The Peacegiver, and Mother by Maya Angelou. Two books about motherhood, a spiritual book, and two YA dystopian romance novels. Fun week for reading!

No comments: