Sunday, November 11, 2012

A Week in the Life {11/5-11/11}

This week was Election week. A little more than half of the country was happy, a little less than half of the country was sad, and about 90 percent of my Facebook feed went insane. This year I learned not to tell people who I voted for. I have friends that are 100 percent sure I voted for Romney, and friends that are 100 percent sure I voted for Obama. I like to play devils advocate and try to see things from both sides, even though I might not agree with them. Also, I don't ever want my friends to feel like I don't value their opinion  and I certainly don't want to be made to feel as if I have to defend MY choices.  Adam is vocal about his political persuasion. Someone actually called him a retard as if the two of them were on the playground in third grade. Someone told him he was following Satan's plan and was going to hell. To make matters worse, our old bishop is an Obama supporter and people told his kids that he should be removed from his office and give up his temple recommend. Really people? You can cry about it...or you can kick back with a bowl of popcorn and watch people look ridiculous as they spew anti Mormon sentiment and racial comments and just hope we can all rise above it in a few weeks.

For the most part we had a great week but we got devastating news...

Adam: Adam has been working himself so hard it worries me (more on that in a minute). He is currently being groomed for administration and is in many ways the principals right hand teacher. He's been involved in many special projects. He works about 10-12 hours a day. The other day he fell asleep at the kitchen table while grading papers. He slept there until 1:00am when he woke up and realized where he was. He is such a good husband and father, and when he comes home from work he does his best to give us attention, even when he has so much to do. After we go to sleep, he stays up late into the night to get stuff done. He is also taking on a couple hours of tutoring after school.

Hannah: Hannah gets cuter by the day. I love this girl. After the election she asked "Is the president Rama Bama?" I corrected her and told her it was Barack Obama. She said "Lets call her Rama Bama." She also shouted out "OH MY GOSH HECK DANG IT!!!" Which just goes to show she is learning how to deal with frustration in the Mormon way lol. Hannah loves Story time at the library and we are happy that we found a good time to go. She also loves the park and is always begging to go. She loves hanging out with the boys, which is good because there are so many her age. She told me this week "My favorite store is Sams Club. I love shopping there. Paigey's favorite is Walmart (pause and giggle) cause she's just a baby." As if she thinks that Paige is just too simple minded to truly appreciate Sams Club. We got to go to a birthday party for four year old Emma on Saturday. She hurt her toe and asked me to kiss her toe better. I kissed it and she said "You have magic kisses when you kiss my owwies." It was better than when we were at Walmart and she fell on the cart and screamed out loud "MOMMY, KISS MY BUM!" Of course I didn't but I blew her a kiss so she wouldn't miss out on my magic kisses.

Paige: Paige is getting more fun by the day. She can now say the following words: Dada, Mama, Ana, Book, Blankie, Ball, Dog, Kitty, No, Yeah, Uh Oh, Please, Thank You, and the all important Bottle. The other day I told Hannah "I made Paigey a B-O-T-T-L-E. That spells "bottle." She replied "Then she can go down for a  "P-I-N!" She was trying to spell N-A-P. Speaking of naps, Paige, who used to be an angel at going down, is now fighting every nap and bed time. It's kind of sad but she is learning quickly that we aren't going to get her if she cries. Paige wanted to get out of the shopping cart the other day so she pulled my shirt down. Down went my shirt, undershirt, garments, and bra...I hope I don't end up on the internet.

As a family we went to a BBQ at my friend Stacey's house. It was great. I love our friends so much. We've been very blessed. Also, it snowed! It snowed on Saturday so it was very exciting. In our 6 years we've seen it snow three times total (as in, it snows for just a couple hours, every couple years). It's never snowed this early and it was a little bit magical. I had a hot chocolate.

Now to the devastating news. A little girl in our ward (the Painted Mountain ward) was diagnosed with cancer two summers ago, just after her third birthday. It was a horrific year for their family as she struggled and battled and as of last summer she was in remission. Yesterday, her 36 year old father Eric passed away in his sleep from a sudden heart attack. I can't imagine what their family is going through at this time, to come out of one devastating trial head on into a new one. I think of four year old Kennedy who just went through cancer and then lost her father. I think if Kim who has been watching this happen to her daughter and then loses her best support and best friend. I also think of the tender mercies that have been afforded them. Eric got baptized just 4 months ago, after feeling the love and blessings from Heavenly Father through the miracle of Kennedy's remission. They also have two other children in their family, Cameron was in our primary class a few years ago. You just never know what Heavenly Father has in store for you. I also think, that the Aiken family spent a year loving and appreciating each other a little more, constantly burdened with the reality that one of their family could be taken from them at any moment. I'm sure now, Kennedy's cancer was a tender mercy, as the Aiken family has never been closer than this last year of going through a trial together.

No comments: